Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
rdanino Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What do you really looking to get out of reporting ?

HI,

My name is Ravit and I am managing the Application Lifecycle Management functional Architects team, responsible for Quality Center and  performance Testing products.  I am part of the R&D group.

My colleagues from R&D and me are trying to research and explore customers challenges around reporting in QC. While looking on that issue you may consider two aspects for it . The first reporting the data as a raw data for internal usage and for future tracking , the second reporting the status of a testing effort, Release status, project status, etc’  to other stakeholders and management level.

Each one of the above impose other challenges regarding the level of the data you want to expose,  the format you want to use, the aggregation level you want to get  and others.

We would like to learn about the challenges you are having with the above, what are your main needs around reporting and how do you use the current solution?  I would greatly appreciate if you could spend a few minutes answering the following survey at

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HP_QC_Reporting_Survey

Thanks , Ravit

0 Likes
5 Replies
Honored Contributor.. mark_ford Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: What do you really looking to get out of reporting ?

One item that I would like to mention since you caught my attention is we would greatly appreciate a way to facilitate a reporting database on a database server separate from our Production Quality Center database server.

The Dashboard 9.0/9.2 product for Quality Center (separate application) established a separate database server by porting data from the QC server several times a day.  Dashboard reporting was then done against the Dashboard server thus reducing the chances of causing performance issues on the QC database server.

This was a great concept but the reporting capabilities and setup in the Dashboard application were difficult to manage.  With Quality Center 10.0 the separate Dashboard database is gone and some basic Dashboard reporting established within Quality Center itself.  What would be ideal for the next version would be to have a separate Dashboard database but have the Dashboard reporting features within Quality Center - so a mix of the two.

I see there is an item regarding this on the survey so hopefully R&D is considering this approach.  We have established a sort of separate database server on our own but it doesn't port the data as well as the Dashboard KPI's did.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Absent Member.. David Chiappone Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I would support the concept of a separate reporting database. It would solve issues we have around folks asking to have access to the QC database for reporting purposes and then needing to work through the potential issues that they could cause to QC if they happen to mess something up

0 Likes
Optiplex Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We wanted a flexible quality dashboard, and really we wanted something that would incorporate quality center data (requirements coverage, test design status, BPT component automation status, BPT component reuse pareto, test execution status, defect tracking) PLUS our continuous integration "quality" (ie % good/ bad builds, code coverage levels, static analysis reports).

So we ended up developing our our dashboard utility that gathers data from both these sources (QC and our Continuous Integration server) and displays it on a central web based dashboard

Also, I found the QC dashboard to be restrictive/ painful to work with

I also got frustrated with some of the nuances of QC reporting

eg in a graphical report in QC, you can't set a filter for a particular requirements folder - as that filter option doesnt exist

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Apf_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Reporting is the biggest problem I face when trying to convince sr. management that QC is a good idea. That I cannot show slices of time e.g. how many defects did we have open last week, how many three weeks ago etc. has always been a problem.

Trying to build requirement verification matrices is another problem. In fact, reporting between business, system and test requirements and then the tests to work out what is / is not signed-off or covered is time consuming and mostly done outside of QC.

Just getting a simple report to produce a table for the following headings takes more time than it should and normally involves using Excel or OTA to get around the limitations.

component......number of requirements......requirements passed.....requirements covered....requirements not covered.....number of tests.....number executed.....number passed.....number defects.....number open defects

etc.

0 Likes
huh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What we are looking for is not so much reports but something in the concept of saved searches across projects.  We are  looking for something to help the "worker bees" easily see what is on their queue to work on real time and the ability to get to those items without too much hassle.

I don't really see that in the current product.  There are Filters but that is hard to navigate, not cross project, implemented differently in different modules,  and the dialog is too small to be usable.   

http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-Support-Forum/QC10-Cross-Project-views-for-developers/m-p/30645;  In addition to above, there is no way to find what Test Sets/Test I'm assigned to cover. 

I started to take the survey but I saw that the questions on reporting were geared more towards a printed report or a graph.  I'm not to interested in this area.   I need to be able to get to the work that needs to be done in a more flexible way.   Reports and graphs aren't going to help that.

The reports and graphs will look much nicer if we could easily see what work needs to be done and do it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.