Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Where is client "ping" recorded in database?

Jump to solution

I was told through an HP support case dialog that the "clients" that connect to ALM send a "ping" to the ALM server every 5 minutes to let ALM know that the session is alive and active.

Is this ping done only by the UI, or is it also done by the API (listed in Site Admin > Connections as "OTAClient" type connections)?

Is this ping also done by HP testing tools connected to ALM, like QTP and UFT?

Is this ping recorded in the Site Admin database anywhere for each session?  If so, where?

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TungDo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Where is client "ping" recorded in database?

Jump to solution

Hi Truddy,

I tried to reproduce and investgate your query in my lab then I would like to let you know

When you working with QTP/UFT, QTP/UFT also send the ping to server.

In the same table LOGIN_SESSIONS, you can see another column is "client type".

If you connect server by QTP/UFT the type should be "Testing Tool".

Another type is "OTA client" so if you connect using OTA, it should be sent the ping also.

Please refer to my screenshot in attachments for more detail.

Please let me know if this information is helpful for you.

Thank you and regards,

Tung Do

HP QC/ALM support

"HP Support
If you find this or or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance."
8 Replies
TungDo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for your question,

Regarding your query, i understood that you mentioned to WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT methodology.

Please refer to the document below to know more about the mechanism of it:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM198005

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

"HP Support
If you find this or or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance."
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you, but that article is not addressing my questions. I am not asking about how inactive sessions are automatically terminated, nor how WAIT_BEFORE_DISCONNECT works.

Please review my post and provide answers to the questions I asked.

Thank, you.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
TungDo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

I investigated about your query and found out that the client "ping" recorded in SA schema in table LOGIN_SESSIONS.

In this table, there is column LAST_TOUCH_TIME and it will record time of the "ping" from client every 5 mins.

Thank you and regards,

"HP Support
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thank you for the reply. That answers one side of my questions.

The other side of my questions was concerning which "clients" send this ping. Obviously use of the ALM UI will do so.

I know that QTP/UFT also send a ping. Is it stored in the same field?

Does an OTA Client type of connection also send a "ping"?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. fengjerma Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Actually if you turn on webgate client log on the QC client machine, you will start to see PING action from client.

Regarding how to turn on webgate client log, you can either use the webgate customization tool or the QC client logger utility.. both can be downloaded from <QC server URL>/Apps link.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
HP Support

~~ If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give out a Kudo.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thank you for the additional information, but it is not helpful, unfortunately.

I have developed a custom tool for people who are not ALM Site Admins to be able to see a list of all the connections such as is displayed in the Site Admin Connections tab. I am using a SQL query to extract the data. I want to show the users the login timestamp and the last action time stamp, and also the last ping timestamp so that they can figure out if the connections are "live". We have trouble with QTP/UFT crashing and leaving connections to ALM. Enabling end user to see the last ping timestamp for connections will help them resolve issues around inactive connections.

So, I need to know which field the ping is stored in. That answer was provided.

I also need to know if all connection types (as seen in the Site Admin Connections tab) actually produce the ping, and the time stamp is stored in the same field in the database for all connection types.

0 Likes
TungDo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Truddy,

I tried to reproduce and investgate your query in my lab then I would like to let you know

When you working with QTP/UFT, QTP/UFT also send the ping to server.

In the same table LOGIN_SESSIONS, you can see another column is "client type".

If you connect server by QTP/UFT the type should be "Testing Tool".

Another type is "OTA client" so if you connect using OTA, it should be sent the ping also.

Please refer to my screenshot in attachments for more detail.

Thank you and regards,

Tung Do

HP QC/ALM support

"HP Support
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thank you. Confirmation that the OTA Client and Testing Tools also send the ping was the last piece of information I needed.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.