Trusted Contributor.. beckie Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

copy tests betwen projects stored on two QC/ALM servers

Hello,

I have 2 QC servers. On each server I have a project with same tests definitions.

I woul like to copy / paste theses tests between the two projects.

If projects are on same servers it's ok, but if projects are not on same servers, it's failed. Even after opening all necessary flow and ports. Any ideas.

Hp answer is not clear because they think that it's possible but they didn't find any documentations on it.

Any of you already experienced that ?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Rebecca

0 Likes
11 Replies
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: copy tests betwen projects stored on two QC/ALM servers

In my company, we were not able to do for a few reasons, one being that the back-end datbases are different, one is in oracle and the other is Sybase. So the front-end copy somehow doesn't quite work plus, the configurations between the 2 projects are different, different fields. I don't know if these qualifiers are the same with your case to say that it won't work but I thought I'd mention it.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Hi Cheyenne,

Thanks for your feedback.

Our QC have same versions, same patches.

Our DB versions are sames.

The Test definition is also the same : same labels and same USR number.

Today we are obliged to Export/import regurlarly one project from a server to another to make the copy of data. But it's very impacting for us to disconnect users to do that.

BR

beckie

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Please provide more information about exactly whats steps you are using to get the tests from the source and copy them to the destination. Are you going through the UI or the API?

Are you getting error messages? If so, what are they?

What is the version and patch level of the product?

Are you exporting/importing entire projects, or baselines of libraries?

Have you looked into using the Synchronizer tool?

Are you trying to copy multiple tests or large quantities of information? Have you tried the activity using different user credentials or smaller amounts of data?

Do your tests have other entities linked to them? Do your tests have attachments?
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Trusted Contributor..

Hello,

Please find my answer below:

Are you going through the UI or the API?

=>through the UI.

Are you getting error messages? If so, what are they?

CopyManger failed to paste the data ;
Error creating closure for copy paste operation;
Failed to transmit to https://nobelium.xxxx.com/qcbin/tdservlet;
nobelium.xxxx.com;

XXX is name of my compagny. I have removed it.

Nobelium is the source server in which we made the copy , not the paste action.

What is the version and patch level of the product? QC patch 14 on both servers & Oracle 10.2.0.4

Are you exporting/importing entire projects, or baselines of libraries?

We succeed in importing/exporting project for copy/paste on same servers.

Have you looked into using the Synchronizer tool? NO

Are you trying to copy multiple tests or large quantities of information? Have you tried the activity using different user credentials or smaller amounts of data?

No, we only try to copy 1 test without attachment. Yes we tried also with another credential.

Do your tests have other entities linked to them? Do your tests have attachments? NO

In addition, all flux are opened.

Best regards

Rebecca

0 Likes
Established Member.. Najib-L
Established Member..

Hello
I have the same issue when copying any object (test, requirement, defect) from project "P1" on server "S1" to project "P2" on server "S2".

Have you succeeded in resolving this issue ?

Thank you for your help

Regards,

0 Likes
Sumeet_Kushwah Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

We used OTA API to copy the tests from one server to another server. It took some time but it worked perfectly in the end.

This approach will avoid any database or backend issues.

Thanks,
Sumeet
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Hi, If you want to copy test definitions between 2 QC servers using copy/paste function of UI, youmust have exactly same tests definitions in the 2 projects ( for instance if you have a user defined field USR1 integer in source project, the USR1 integer must exist is target project).

I warn you that only definition is copied, not the link with others entities.

Rgds

Beckie

0 Likes
ameyjo Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

The copy paset will work,  it does note matter if you are working with different servers, the customization, and lists will be relevant during the process if they do not match between projects, source and target project must be aligned.

There should be an error when you do the pasting process, can you please check if there are any details you can share ?

Cordially

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution"
0 Likes
Member.. ALM_ADMIN
Member..

Hi Ameyo,

I am facing exactly same issue.

Attached is the error message.

Can you please provide thoughts on how to resolve this issue.

Regards,Srihari

0 Likes
Chris_Grz Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

It looks like the destination server cannot communicate with the source server because of a certificate issue. Try to connect to the source server from the destination server (using regular user interface). The browser you'll use on the destination server should give you more info on the missing certificate(s).

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. arichtman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

100% recommend using the ALM Synchronizer for this if it will support it.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.