Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. garychen Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

An Excel utility to export ALM project customization

I have developed an Excel utility which can export ALM project customization. My purpose is to:

• Backup the ALM project customization. Before this utility, I record all customization in excel format manually.
  • Easy and simple way for me to check if ALM project customization is as planning
  • Can export the most entities fields customization, Project List, User groups and Users, Site parameters
  • It use OTA and can work with ALM 11.00, 11.52 & 12.x. 

Please see the attached zip file for Excel utility and pdf for screenshots. I want to share this with you and get some feedback to help me improve this utility. Thank you.

Updates: 
2016/4/29 - Removed the Chinese Sub name in the marco.
2016/5/10 - Support ALM 11.52 which doesn't have sanitization field property.
2016/05/13 - Connection error handling enhancment and fix Site Administrator fixed URL defect. Add Login dialog to hide the password
2016/05/17 - Support ALM 11 (Use GetTDVersion instead of GetTDVersionEx which ALM 11 doesn't have GetTDVersionEx)

21 Replies
Outstanding Contributor.. Venkat457 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: An Excel utility to export ALM project customization

Hello Garychen,

Thanks for sharing this utility which will be of great help to export customization.I tried running this utility and got up with some exceptions.

I did registered the ALM Client on the PC where i am running this and I am the site admin for the QC.Currently on v11.52 (not sure if that could be a restriction.However below is the exception while i tried running this.

Cannot run the macro "  name of macro" .The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may have been disabled.

Tried enabling all the macros,but same error.Is there any password restriction to run this macro??

Please advise how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Venkat
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

Thank you for tring this excel utility.

There is no any password restriction to run this macro, only the password restriction to view and modify the marco.

Could you please give me the screenshot of the error message? I guess my environment is Chinese and the excel has some chinese words in the marco. I suspect this is the root cause. I will try to fix it. So I need the complete error message to check it. Thank you.

Regards,
Gary

Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

I have removed the Chinese words in the marco. Could you please try this new version again and let me know the result? Thank you.

Gary

Super Contributor.. ThuyTran Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Dear Gary, 

Thank you so much for your sharing. 

It's really useful. 🙂

Best regards, 

Lilly

Thuy Tran
Software Support Engineer
If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the option at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for checking back on the fix.With the new update,I was not seeing the error which i noticed earlier.However I have noticed different exceptions this time.

In the first run it showed : Run time error 408 : Object not found

I happened to close the excel and relaunched it to run again and this time it was showing as "Invalid Server response"

I made sure to give the URL till qcbin only and with right credentials,but it failed.

Could you please advise if I am missing anything here.

Thanks

Venkat
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

I didn't test the marco on ALM 11.5. I only tested it on ALM12.x. I will try to create a 11.5 to see if I can reproduce your issue. 

Does your ALM environment use https?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

For the first error message is that an field property only support on ALM 12.x not on 11.52. I think I have fixed it.

The second error is due to the first error message, because the marco didn't disconnect from the ALM server.

Please goto Site administrator > Site Connections, and disconnect all OTAClient connections before you try again.

Please try the new version I uploaded. Thank you.

Gary

Thank you very much Garychen for your time in fixing this issue.I was able to run this now and the outcome is amazing.I am pretty sure you might have spent a lot of time in designing this macro,but its worth a ton and really helps users out there like me if we are maintaining multiple QC projects.Appreciate your help a lot and the QA community will be thankful to you for sharing this.

Venkat
Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

Good to hear that. Please let me know if you have any ideas about this utility. I will try to make it better. Enjoy it!

Gary

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

I have updated a new version with Login dialog which user won't see the plain password string.

Gary

0 Likes

Thanks Gary.I will be using this tool more frequently and will share any ideas about it to make it better.Could you please share the updated version which includes the password mask.

Venkat
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

I update it in the attachment of the original post.
Gary
0 Likes

Thanks Gary.With this new version,I was not able to see the rows 1 to 4 and row 5 being empty which usually used to ask the server URL and credentials along with domain\project info.I was able to see from rows 5 as attached in the screeenshot.

Please check if the rows are hidden in the updated version.I didn't have this issue with the previous version.

Venkat
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Venkat,

Yes. Row 1 to 4 were replaced by a new Login doalog.

ALM Exporter Login DialogALM Exporter Login Dialog

Gary

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.