Honored Contributor.. mark_ford Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Archiving old information in QC/ALM Projects

Are there any common techniques or methods to use to know what information can be archived in a Quality Center/ALM project?

We have over 1 millino Test Cases, over 2 million Test Sets, and over 2 million Test Executions in our largest ALM project.  It's been rather sluggish lately and we'd like to clean out items that haven't been touched in awhile.  Any sure fire techniques for easily identifying and purging everything old?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Archiving old information in QC/ALM Projects

Wow, that is large. For the future, maybe consider creating a new project and start moving up-to-date tests and test sets?

You are probably aware you can purge old Runs for selected Test Sets. Also, if you don't still need them for reporting purposes there will probably be several Test Lab tree branches that are now obsolete (that depends of course how your tree is organized) and can be removed.

For Tests I assume you will need to go through them folder by folder and try to find the right persons that can judge what is obsolete.

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
0 Likes
Frequent Visitor.. Harden
Frequent Visitor..

Hi Mark,

Did you get your project data archived/purged?  Do you still need an archiving solution for your HPE/Micro Focus ALM?

Regards,

Mark H.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. arichtman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

You should be able to find entities by last modified. Look for fields like REQ.RQ_VTS. Failing that you can use the audit logs.

Mind you this will only show what's been modified - not viewed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Mark H / Peers,

Are there any archival solutions in place which I can refer?

In one of our ALM environment , we have around 200 GxP & Non GxP ALM projects, all these projects are actively in use and are audited regularly , situation arised where only 10% free space is left on the application hard drive(repository).

Without further increasing the space on the hard drive, We are looking for a archival solution which promotes some sort of cleanup and create some free space on existing application drive.

What are all the factors that we have consider while preparing Archival strategy?

Please advise.

Regards,
Srihari
0 Likes
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

In our case, for instance, there are backup and data retention policies in the company that we have to consider. We cannot just delete information per se in the projects.  So are part of our governance, as arichtman suggested, projects should have finite life times to avoid overgrown projects. 

And since there is not a systematic way of carving out data from a project, you have to be careful when deleteing artifacts piece-meal since you have to consider linkages between the assets. Especially if you are a company that is audit-intensive.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Now we also solving the archiving of data or projects.

We have a problem with slownes of client because of too big. 

So I have to decide and create a copy of project in 31.12.2018 and put it to diffrent DOMAIN. Of course you can put it to diffrent db schema or repository or even to diffrent ALM server. And say that everybody who want older data her or she must go to this project. It is setup to read only.

And then I delete all data in the current project until the date that is agreed with all users. But it does not mean that I can delete all. I have to really go entity of ALM one by one and agreed with the owners if I can archive (delete it).

For example in defect module I deleted 30 000 defects.

In Test Instances I deleted 1/4 of them and so on. The good is that the data are not deleted permanently but they are in another ALM project.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.