jaywill2012 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Need best practice advise on Domains & Projects setup

My company currently has setup Domains as Departments and Projects as Applications for which those departments support.  So for example at my company a Domain would be GIS or Human Resources we would have the projects aka applications that would be GIS or People Soft HR.  In those projects in the Test Plan module we have folders containing test cases by functional area. 

This worked fine at first but as we are running more and more projects I am wondering if this was the best way to setup HP ALM.  It's getting more difficult to keep defects separated and keep test cases in their respective project.  What is the best practice for setting up Domains & Projects? 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.. shiv_p Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Need best practice advise on Domains & Projects setup

Your approach of creating domains as dept and apps as projects sounds good and easy to manage.

It should be so complex to manage, if you got fewer dept and applications.

i doubt if someone has any thoughts about best practices around this.

if you can explain the details about your current challenges, I can throw some light.

0 Likes
jaywill2012 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using the Projects drop down list on the HP ALM log-in screen to define our "Applications" that each department supports.  One of our departments is "Customer Support" it supports the Customer Information System.  This CIS application typically has 20 releases a year.  Each customer support analyst runs a release.  When they log into the CIS application (project drop down list) they see all the other anaylsts projects, all 19 other releases.  It seems less than optimal to have them see all these other defects, test cases, test sets, etc.  That's why I'm looking for how other companies have structured their domain and projects. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

i doubt if someone has any thoughts about best practices around this.

Contrary to the popular belief, there is actually an HP best practices book on how to setup domains and projects. It is right here in the same forum - just take a look.

0 Likes
OlivierJacques Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Leo,

I think you refer to this best practice instead, on ALM project topology.

In addition, I made a presentation at HP Discover Frankfurt on this very topic, which I think is both critical and hard to get an answer for. I will be happy to share the slides - just send me an email: olivier@hp.com

Regards,

Olivier.

--
Forj: continuous integration & delivery for the masses
http://www.hp.com/go/forj
Do not hesitate to mark a question as closed if you think you have all you need (Kudos do help too 🙂 )
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.