Good morning

I wanted to know if it was normal for rmcobol to be slower in 64-bit systems

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
Bruce_Sinclair Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Cobol Slow whith Windows 10

Do you mean RM/COBOL 32-bit product on Windows 10 64-bit or RM/COBOL 64-bit product on Windows 10 64-bit?

RM/COBOL 32-bit product on Windows 10 64-bit should be about the same performance as earlier Windows 32-bit and 64-bit OS.

RM/COBOL 64-bit product should also perform about the same, but could be slightly slower because of moving more data unnecessarily. RM/COBOL 64-bit is mainly about being able to interface with other 64-bit products used together with RM/COBOL.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You'll have to be a lot more specific. In general, the answer is there should not be a noticable difference, but there are a lot of factors.

What do you mean by "slower" and how significant is it? Are the jobs just taking longer, is it a question of user interface responsiveness, or is the system pausing? Or are you benchmarking or running timing tests?

What version of RM/COBOL are you using, and if 12.13 or later, is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Also, are you asking about compute performance or file I/O, or just the overall responsiveness of an application?

Has the amount of memory changed from your previous palatform?

If file I/O, are you accessing files locally on an SSD, hard drive, or over a network share?

Did the slowdown start after a Windows update? Are you comparing a 32-bit system like XP against 64-bit Windows 10? The Meltdown/Spectre patches could have theoretically have an effect on very I/O bound programs and Windows 10 is supposedly affected more than earlier versions of Windows.
0 Likes
info_galileo-progett Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks for the quick reply.

my consideration concerns an archive reading process that in windows xp is fast (10 min.) while in windows 10, various pc, very slow (50 min)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Are the files being read locally or over the network -- and if network, what kind of server?
0 Likes
info_galileo-progett Absent Member.
Absent Member.

the files located on the windows 10 pro server on a domain network
thanks
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It sounds like you're using Windows 10 Professional as a file server.  Presumably this is the v1709 machine.  

My suggestion is that you officially report this problem so it can be reproduced and properly researched.

In the meantime, one of the changes Microsoft made with 1709 was to remove SMB v1 support.  You may want to read this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

As an experiment, you can try reinstalling SMB1 on your Windows 10 machine (see the instructions at the end of the linked page), or enabling the "leasing" mode described earlier.

If either of those fix the slowdown from XP, please reply so other forum users can benefit.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.