Highlighted
rf1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cobol app slow down 20 times after update Windows 10 Pro from 1703 to 1709 Version

Hi,

After updating Windows 10 Pro  to 1709 version an old cobol program no longer works properly. I already tested it and verified that the program works without problems in previous version of Windows (1703).

The program runs with an old RmCobol runtime 10.01 version. The problema is in some tasks like disk operations or creating some tasks like disk operations or creating some reports the app slow down. The same tasks delay more than 20 times.

Until version 1703 everything worked without problems. I have some customers with this problem.

best regards

Tags (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Michel-D Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Cobol app slow down 20 times after update Windows 10 Pro from 1703 to 1709 Version

It is the same problem with RMCOBOL version 8.0 ....
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Cobol app slow down 20 times after update Windows 10 Pro from 1703 to 1709 Version

I'm curious -- have you tried disabling Windows Defender or adding the directories where you create the files as exclusions to the locations it monitors? Also, are you creating files on mapped drives or network shares, or on the hard drive?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

My suggestion is that you officially report this problem so it can be reproduced and properly researched.

In the meantime, one of the changes Microsoft made with 1709 was to remove SMB v1 support.  You may want to read this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

As an experiment, you can try reinstalling SMB1 on your Windows 10 machine (see the instructions at the end of the linked page), or enabling the "leasing" mode described earlier.

If either of those fix the slowdown from XP, please reply so other forum users can benefit.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.