Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
AmyM1 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Compiling not Creating Listing

Jump to solution

I'm having an issue when I'm compiling one of my programs.  When I compile, it is not generating a Listing.

I have the L option at the end of the command line:

@START /W C:\PROGRA~2\Liant\RMCOBO~1\RMCOBOL PRPDFSI1.CBL L

The program compiles fine, but it doesn't generate a listing.  Anyone know why it wouldn't?  Every other program I compile with this same command generates a Listing.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Compiling not Creating Listing

Jump to solution

A quick thought: do you have a PRPDFSI1.LST somewhere in your RMPATH?  If the compiler finds an existing file with that name, it will overwrite it even if the source is in the current directory.

This is because the compiler uses the standard RM/COBOL search sequence to search the RMPATH for unqualified filenames (in this case, source-name.LST).  If a file with a matching name is found, it is overwritten.  The same goes for object (.COB) files.

To force the listing (or object) to be written to the current directory, specify L=. (or O=.).

BTW, if you're invoking the compiler from a console window, you shouldn't need the START /W.  Just use RMCOBOLC instead of RMCOBOL if RMCOBOL is the GUI compiler.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

A quick thought: do you have a PRPDFSI1.LST somewhere in your RMPATH?  If the compiler finds an existing file with that name, it will overwrite it even if the source is in the current directory.

This is because the compiler uses the standard RM/COBOL search sequence to search the RMPATH for unqualified filenames (in this case, source-name.LST).  If a file with a matching name is found, it is overwritten.  The same goes for object (.COB) files.

To force the listing (or object) to be written to the current directory, specify L=. (or O=.).

BTW, if you're invoking the compiler from a console window, you shouldn't need the START /W.  Just use RMCOBOLC instead of RMCOBOL if RMCOBOL is the GUI compiler.

0 Likes
AmyM1 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Uwe, thanks for the help! my listing was in my Copy library folder.  So odd!!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Great!  Glad I could help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.