Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
jdorminey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does XBIS have any throttling capability?

Does XBIS have any throttling capability?  For example, can it be configured to accept only 50 pending requests, and after that, it will reply gracefully, with something like a 503 (service unavailable)? Is there a setting within XBIS that will accomplish this?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Does XBIS have any throttling capability?

You didn't mention Windows (IIS) or UNIX (Apache).  The number of active runtime systems are limited by the license use count, so you can't ever have more running COBOL services underway than your license allows.  

For less than that number of concurrent services, the UNIX version has a command line option described on page 123 of the user's guide:

-c count

Specifies the maximum number of service (child) processes.

This is normally set to 9999 to indicate that the number of service processes

is limited only by the license, but it may be set to a smaller value as a “throttle.”

I believe you can also limit this during installation.  

Windows has a BIS_MAX_THREADS system setting but that affects only the request handler and it's very difficult to exhaust the default of 5 threads.  On Windows, simultaneous runtime services are only limited by the license.  

All that said, you would normally perform request throttling in the IIS or Apache web server settings.  

In IIS, you can control the size of the request queue and the number of active requests (connections). IIS is endlessly configurable.  However, already running COBOL services ("sessions") don't count as active requests (requests are basically only active when data is being sent or received) and are limited only by the size of the license.   I'd go looking for an application pool property -- something like what's discussed here: https://serverfault.com/questions/271124/what-is-the-default-number-of-concurrent-requests-that-can-be-processed-by-iis-7.  You could also limit the number of simultaneous persistent connections to your server, but those don't necessarily end when the BIS session ends.

If you can describe your environment, operating system, IIS/Apache version, and the problem you're trying to solve, we (or someone else monitoring this forum) might be able to point you in the right direction.

0 Likes
jdorminey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks so much for the reply.

We are running in Apache on AIX and Linux (RHEL).

Our root issue is that when we doing load testing and pushing a large number of requests at XBIS, it just chokes. By chokes I mean the xbisengd processes hang and XBIS stops responding to requests. Ideally what I would like to happen is to somehow (XBIS/Apache etc...) limit the number of requests such that when the number of incoming requests reaches the limit, it would return a "graceful" error and not cause XBIS to go off the rails.
0 Likes
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You might also mention whether you're running RM/Cobol or ACUCOBOL/extend (you've posted in the RM forum, but I think I recall working with you as an Acu/extend user).
0 Likes
jdorminey Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Chuck, yes this is AcuCobol/Extend. I was point specifically to the RM forum by support, since this is an XBIS related issue.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.