lynnbochmann Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Liant RMCOBOL using XML trying to print to window printer

Trying to change from printing in Unix to printing in Windows.  Using BIS and XML so can not use dialog boxes as the XML suppresses them.  Does anyone know how to assign the windows printer through the cobol program?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

RE: Liant RMCOBOL using XML trying to print to window printer

So, are you trying to print directly from the BIS service program?  Or are you trying to get the browser to print something?

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

(Lynnbochmann responded via private email that they wish to print from the service program.)

Become very familiar with the DEFINE-DEVICE configuration command.  RM/COBOL User's Guide, Chapter 10, DEFINE-DEVICE Configuration Record, page 338.  Pay attention to the specifics for Windows printers.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Lynnbachmann writes:

When we have assigned the print file to PRINTER? and have had our LPX1 in the DEFINE-DEVICE with LPX1 and port info it prints to the printer if that is our default printer.  However we get dialog errors that it has failed and been suppressed because BIS suppresses the dialog box.

I would suggest you post your code, including the COBOL SELECT statement, the configuration record, and the trace information provided by BIS when you attempt the OPEN.

Certainly PRINTER? is doomed because a BIS service program does not have an operator (console) or user interface (window).  In this regard BIS on Windows/IIS and BIS on Unix/Apache (your previous environment, correct?) are not different..  You will have to have BIS configured correctly (you are using the configuration option on the {{StartService}} are you not?) and then your COBOL service program will have to pick the correct device name (from those defined using DEFINE-DEVICE).  

[Please respond in this thread using the box below.]

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
mojomexico Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hello
i can sugest alway to use Unix LPD native services to reach that Windows Print as Remote Spool Print or the same solutions when you try to send to PRINTSPOOL SERVER (yes, means phisical printspool i recomend you Axis i made this configuration severaltimes from SCO Unix, Solaris, AIX, Linux ,any Nix servers), then when the Cobol-unix-(or linux no mather just need to be NIX system) send for you the SPOOL-EMISSION (as you now, previusly you have to define your print-spool On into the config.cobol); i have to mention it you had to have absolute domain to NIX LPD (and some time SAMBA) use to spool it. As i had mentioned, this solutions i alway applyed for lots (hundred) print-spool printers (lassers, ink, tickets, traditional printers ), even local or remote locations, no mather what, if you need some assist please send to me a mail
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.