Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
mpcsoft6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RM-COBOL 7 and Windows 10

Jump to solution

I have an odd problem.

I have 2 windows 10 machines running Windows 10 version 1803.

One has Pro 1803 and went through the 1709 fiasco, and the second one has home 1803.

On the home 1803 rm-cobol 7.0 runs like a champ, whereas on the Pro version 1803, RM 7.0  will not run. When I execute the batch to run the software the command line window appears, but the runtime does not appear as a process unless I 'X" the window.  The machine will run any program that does no screen i-o. Also the compiler will compile but will not open a window.  

I know this is odd, but any ideas?  I have been bashing my brains out on this for quite some time. Thanks in advance for any clues.

Let me add this: On the pro machine, the runtime will run (for a example a print-only program) if there is no screen i-o. As if it will not create a window. I should point out that this is a standard windows 10 machine with no special display options. The RM runtime ran perfectly until the introduction of build 1709 of Windows 10. This problem arose at that time and persists with build 1803.

Thanks again for any ideas regarding this bizarre issue. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpcsoft6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: RM-COBOL 7 and Windows 10

Jump to solution
Thank you, but I think I have this figured out. By moving the runtime and application off drive C: (by net use), the software runs properly. As previously mentioned the problem is limited to the PRO version of Win 10, so I am suspecting that there is some rule or permissions issue on the C drive. So I have it working again happily and thank you all for your assistance. Cheers.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Oscar_Ramos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
change a runcobol compatibility to Windows Xp and execute run as administrator the bat or excecute cmd whit administrator
0 Likes
mpcsoft6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
That is how I have been running it since Windows 7 (compatibility to XP and run as admin). It stopped working with build 1709 of Windows 10.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Check this out:

support.microsoft.com/.../smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

Try re-enabling SMBv1 and let us know if that helps.
0 Likes
mpcsoft6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you, but I think I have this figured out. By moving the runtime and application off drive C: (by net use), the software runs properly. As previously mentioned the problem is limited to the PRO version of Win 10, so I am suspecting that there is some rule or permissions issue on the C drive. So I have it working again happily and thank you all for your assistance. Cheers.
0 Likes
Robert511
Visitor.

Re: RM-COBOL 7 and Windows 10

Jump to solution
RM/COBOL 64-bit product should also perform about the same, but could be slightly slower because of moving more data unnecessarily. RM/COBOL 64-bit is mainly about being able to interface with other 64-bit products used together with RM/COBOL. ttrockstars

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.