Highlighted
LindaPraed_img Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

RM/COBOL v12.15 backward compatible

Hello,

I believe the answer is no but want to verify -

Can programs compiled using v12.15 be run in Windows 7?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: RM/COBOL v12.15 backward compatible

RM/COBOL backward compatibility is not dependent on the operating system platform. If the Windows 7 system already has an RM/COBOL run time installed (i.e. runcobol), then an RM/COBOL program can be run there.

If you are using an RM/COBOL compiler, you can use the Z compile-time option to select the target RM/COBOL version of the run time module. If you do this, please note you are specifying an 'object version' (not product version) for compatibility. See appendix H of the User Guide to determine object version needed for your specific run-time module.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tom is correct -- if you are compiling with v12.15 but targeting an older version of the RM/COBOL runtime system, you can use the Z option to ensure you aren't using features that aren't supported by a given version.  If you are targeting a v12.15 runtime system, you don't have to worry about this.

However, if you are asking whether the v12.15 compiler and runtime systems support Windows 7, the answer is yes.  v12.15 and v12.16 will install and run on Windows XP and later, but Microsoft has dropped support for XP and Vista, and is dropping support for Windows 7 on January 15, 2020 for most customers.  So while 12.15 will work fine on Windows 7, you won't get patches or bug fixes for the operating system.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

We need to apply an additional 25 licenses to our runtime which is available in 12.15 but we are still on Windows 7. 

Our issue:

1.   No one currently at our company has ever loaded licenses for RM/COBOL (other than our developer licenses)
  2.   We have no documentation on how to do so
  3.   Due to another legacy system, we are unable to convert from Windows 7 to 10

I have recompiled our COBOL code on a Windows 10 laptop using v12.15.  But my Windows 7 desktop (and our production runtime) is on v10.01.

If we load v12.15 on my W-7 machine, recompile all of our COBOL code and deploy, will we be able to install the 25 licenses in addition to our current 100?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

There is a knowledge base article which describes the steps necessary to install multiple licenses. I am unsure if you are trying to keep 100 use v10 or whether all is moving to v 12.15. The knowledge base article is here: https://community.microfocus.com/t5/RM-COBOL-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-install-both-an-RM-COBOL-Development-and-Runtime-System/ta-p/1735620

Tom Morrison
Consultant

Trusted Contributor.

That worked!  Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, I'm now receiving "Error loading subprogram WF03B" and I can't find a .COB file for it in any of my libraries.  

0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

@LindaPraed_img wrote:

That worked!  Thank you so much.

Unfortunately, I'm now receiving "Error loading subprogram WF03B" and I can't find a .COB file for it in any of my libraries.  

Does your application employ the WOW Extensions solution?

The "WF03B" subprogram is part of the WOW Extensions product, and, it can be found in the WOW Extensions DLL, "wowrt.dll".

Therefore, if you are attempting to execute a WOW Extensions program, then, you will need to load this DLL to resolve this error.  However, you will also need to ensure that your license for RM/COBOL includes WOW Extensions support, as, you cannot load the WOW Runtime DLL(wowrt.dll) without proper licensing.

**If you are unsure as to what licenses are installed on your system, you can execute the "suptool1 productview" command from the "SupportTools" sub-directory of your RM/COBOL installation.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.