Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
marshallgrads Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Freezing of Micro Focus program while still connected

I wanted to post a problem that I am having with my Micro Focus program - Micro Focus Reflection Desktop Pro (16.0.308.0).

While connected to the host, my program will freeze and not allow me to use anything until I force a quit using CTRL + ALT + DEL. Here are a few of the error code boxes that I get when it occurs.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue. It appears that I am still connected to the host because the bottom text says so. When disconnected it will say "disconnected from host"...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
vfast Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Freezing of Micro Focus program while still connected

I was able to locate a single previous instance in our historical database to match search terms: Reflection "364001A0-CB9B-372F-9BEE-3844B1FD112B". This issue was reported last spring and is as yet unresolved. Steps to duplicate may have been hard to identify, and these are crucial for any resolution.

Here are some ideas that may help resolve at least some of the errors messages illustrated:

The "Attachmate.Emulation.Frame.exe has stopped working" message may be related to possible corruption of Reflection application settings data. This can be regenerated by deleting the folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Micro Focus\Reflection. The next time Reflection opens, it will replace this with default application settings information ("Reflection Workspace Settings") .

You might try uninstalling/reinstalling the version of Reflection you are using. Note that this is no longer the latest release of Reflection Desktop. Version 16.1 was released about a year ago, and there is a service pack release expected next month. Installing the latest release of the product might take care of these difficulties.

Please contact Micro Focus Customer Support for more help with this.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you Vfast. I too have been unable to duplicate the problem with any consistency. I am getting this error several times a week and on a bad day, it happens 2-3 times. I am working for the Veterans Affairs Department so I won't have the ability to upgrade to the newest version as the wheels of progress move rather slowly. I will follow the suggestion to delete the settings data in the folder-path specified and see if this perhaps corrects some or all of the problem.

I will try to gather some of my notes that I have been keeping concerning the instances I have encountered and post it up here or I could send via email if you provide contact information.

Thanks once again
B. Jones
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Vfast,
Here is what I have learned over the past couple of weeks...

1. We are using an older version of Micro Focus Reflection. The VA is a little slow to adopt and push out the newest version...
2. The Freezing of the program can occur in two scenario's
a) When I am not using the keyboard or mouse and the computer has been setting at idle for about 3-5 minutes. To connect to our system we use the Network setting to connect and when it freezes, I am still seeing a "connected to host" in the bottom left display.
b) When I hit the <enter> key to back out of my menu tree when connected, I can sometimes get the program to freeze. This happened yesterday (10/30/17). Not sure if the Micro Focus was unable to keep up with me hitting the <enter> key in rapid succession to back out of my menu tree and disconnect from the host as the last step???
3. I did have my Admin clear out the file you suggested. It seemed to have some affect on the frequency of the freezing occurrences. I am getting fewer instances now. Problem is - I work on multiple PC's and have the Micro Focus saved on a Network drive so that I can set up a desktop shortcut and open if from any computer. This never caused a problem with the older version of Reflection.. I wouldn't think it would cause a problem now??

screen shot of error that occurred on 10/30/17

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Micro Focus Corporation
Reflection Desktop Pro
version: 16.0 SP-1 (16.0.308.0)

Here is the latest on this... It is still happening to my user profile even after deleting the file. What I have noticed is that when working with our computer system - I am with the Veterans Affairs - our system has an automatic time out variable. If no user keyboard activity is detected within this timeout number, then the menu will back itself out one level and then ultimately exit/halt. It appears from my repeated episodes of the freezing occurring that it all revolves around this timeout/halting period...

Yes,, we are using an older version of Micro Focus. I have no input as to when the SP will be uploaded and installed.... And if installed, not sure if this problem still exist in the new versions? Just putting what I have observed up on the FORUM for you guys to look over and decipher.

What I am noticing with our system is that when the prompt is at the selection of " Do you want to halt and continue with this option later? YES// " and then exits automatically because of no user detected keyboard activity is when I most likely get the freezing of the Micro Focus Reflection program. It does not happen every time, but it is the one commonality to the whole problem. The system will show "Connected to the Host xxxxx" at the bottom on the task bar.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I would like to add a little more information to this thread. We are still using Micro Focus Desktop Pro ver 16.0.308.0. I have noticed that the Micro Focus time is out of sync with the Microsoft OS. On my desktop the time is out by about 20-30 seconds. I wonder if this could be a contributing factor to the system freezing? I seem to be unable to add a picture to the thread now otherwise I would add a picture to show the time clock in the lower right.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I have noticed one little thing. We were recently upgraded to 16.0.478.0 The time clock in the bottom right of the Micro Focus Window is not synched with the Windows OS time. My time differs by about 45 seconds... I can watch the Windows time turn to 10:17am and the Micro Focus time will stay at 10:16am for about 45 seconds...
Not sure if this type of time problem could be a factor in the program freezing and displaying the above error boxes??
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Update: 6/18/2018
This error and crash has finally been identified. It has to do with having Events. My Micro Focus sessions have numerous events running in the background. Micro Focus has been able to duplicate the problem and it has been sent to development for a further analysis and a future fix.

These are found in SETUP > Events Mapper.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.