BarnesWJ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Macro's and Reflection for UNIX and Open VMS Version 14.1

Good Day,
Recently the Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS updated and I lost my macro "icon" in the tool bar section. Now across the top is "File, Edit, Connection, Setup, Window, Help". Macro used to be present in earlier versions.

I use it to record computer rules that are VERY repetitive.

Can anyone help me either restore this function or demonstrate a work around. I'm NOT very
computer savvy so please keep that in mind. The type of work I do is dependent on these macros.

For clarity, I'm hoping to record key strokes vs words, calculations that type of thing.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Bill
0 Likes
3 Replies
vfast Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Macro's and Reflection for UNIX and Open VMS Version 14.

There are a few possibilities.

If your employer provided Reflection for you as part of a customized software distribution, they may have disabled the VBA feature because they don't want you to run macros. Some people think its a security issue. I think that's nuts, but people have all sorts of strange ideas.

Can you add "Macro" back using the Menu configuration dialog from the Setup menu?

If you ran the setup.exe to install Reflection yourself, it's unlikely, but did you un-select the VBA macro feature, which is usually installed by default?

Did you actually receive this version of Reflection because the main product you installed was the 64-bit version of Reflection X 14.1? The 64-bit Reflection X 14.1 installer does not install VBA, because we can only distribute the 32-bit version of VBA, and it is not possible to combine 32-bit VBA with 64-bit Reflection 14.1. If you want to use Reflection X to host X-clients, and want to use terminal emulation as well that includes support for VBA macros, install the 32-bit version of Reflection X.
0 Likes
BarnesWJ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

vfast - Thank you so much for responding! Yes Reflection is part of the software that I use. I absolutely believe you are on to something when you suggest that it is disabled for security purposes. However, there are so many different options within setup I'm sure I would never figure the right combination out.

I can add "Macro" back onto the toolbar - but it is NOT functional. There are smaller icons tied to the macro's (solid triangle, dot, =dot, etc) that I can add to the tool bar but they are not functional as well. Historically, when I stop recording an macro I'm asked to save it - but that's not an option.

I did NOT run setup.exe that is strictly an administer function that I do not have. I am running "Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS (14.1.604) SP4 with a 64-bit operating system.

Do you know how to enable the VBA feature?
Is there any other info I can provide that will help?

I truly can't thank you enough for any help you can provide.

WJB
0 Likes
vfast Absent Member.
Absent Member.

14.1.604 is a 64-bit build of Reflection that was installed as part of the 64-bit Reflection X product. This is otherwise known as version 14.1 with service pack 4, update 1. It does not include support for Visual Basic macros. There is no way to enable macros with this version.

You should contact the Help Desk or IT staff for your organization and tell them they gave you the wrong version of Reflection - you want the 32-bit version. While you are at it, remind them that the current release for Reflection 14.1 is actually service pack 5 - if your organization wisely subscribes to our software maintenance program, they will be able to download this for you at any time.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.