Now Available: Reflection Desktop 16.1 SP1 and InfoConnect D
Micro Focus® proudly announces general availability of Reflection Desktop 16.1 SP1 and InfoConnect Desktop 16.1 SP1, the latest releases of the leading enterprise-grade solutions for desktop access to IBM, UNIX, Linux, OpenVMS, HP, X11, and Unisys host applications and data.
Keys themes for this release:
• Ongoing support for Windows 10 Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) update model.
• Fixes and features that facilitate a more seamless migration from heritage Extra!, Reflection14.x, and InfoConnect 9.x products to Reflection 16.x and InfoConnect 16.x and above.
Reflection Desktop 16.1 SP1 and InfoConnect 16.1 SP1 include a wide range of new features, enhancements, and bug fixes, most of which were made in direct response to suggestions from customers. Among them are:
New Feature Highlights
• Ability to map and execute mouse wheel forward (PageDown) and backward (PageUp) events/actions (IBM hosts).
• Enhanced Clipboard copy/paste functionality to address a wider range of use cases.
• Productivity enhancements requested by customers (see Release Notes for details).
• Support for the recently-released Fall Creators Update (FCU), the latest Windows 10 SaaS major update from Microsoft.
• Fixes and features that facilitate a more seamless migration from heritage Extra! and Reflection 14.x products to Reflection 16.x and above.
• Product updates in response to security vulnerabilities and the latest cryptography updates for all product editions.
Updated Windows 10 Platform Support
Microsoft continues to execute on its Windows 10 software-as-a-service (SaaS) strategy (often referred to as Windows-as-a-Service) by delivering major updates to the market every 6 months. The most recent being the recently released Fall Creator’s Update (FCU).
Reflection Desktop and InfoConnect Desktop products stay current with Microsoft Windows updates and releases, enabling users with Maintenance & Support contracts to continue delivering flexible and reliable access to host applications and data from Windows desktops, while at the same time seamlessly and confidently navigating Microsoft’s operating system upgrades.
Reflection Desktop 16.1 SP1 and InfoConnect 16.1 SP1 have been tested on the Windows 10 FCU (commonly referred to as “Version 1709”) and officially support it.
IMPORTANT: New Cryptographic Module Coming in January 2018 for Reflection Desktop for X and Reflection Desktop Pro Editions
Reflection Desktop for X and Reflection Desktop Pro products will be updated in Update 1 in January 2018 to use a new Java cryptographic module when leveraging SSH encryption to facilitate connections to X Window applications.
The reason for this change is that the third-party Java cryptographic module provider, RSA, for the X Server component in Reflection Desktop for X and Reflection Desktop Pro, announced the end of support for their BSAFE cryptographic module. This is requiring Micro Focus to select, test, and certify a new third-party source of cryptography, which will be the Crypto Workshop’s Bouncy Castle cryptographic module. We will address all future security updates related to Java cryptography in successors to the Reflection Desktop 16.1 Update 1 release - Not in any versions prior to 16.1 SP1 Update 1.
Micro Focus strongly recommends that customers upgrade to Reflection Desktop for X and Reflection Desktop Pro 16.1 and Update 1 in January 2018 to ensure any future security vulnerabilities can be addressed. Failing to upgrade to this new version could place customers out of compliance with regulatory requirements, such as PCI-DSS, which require that critical security libraries be up-to-date and supported. Failing to upgrade could also put customers at risk of new security vulnerabilities, for which security patches are not expected to be available for the older cryptographic modules used in previous versions of the products.
To learn more:
Reflection Desktop web page
Reflection Desktop Product Release Overview
Reflection Desktop Release Notes
Reflection Desktop for X Release Notes
Reflection Desktop for NonStop Release Notes
InfoConnect Desktop web page
InfoConnect Desktop Product Release Overview
InfoConnect Desktop Release Notes
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......