Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Globally Unique Requirement IDs (for cross-referencing)

Jump to solution

Is it possible for ALM to provide globally unique IDs for requirements? i.e. unique across all projects. 

I'm exploring the use of Entity Sharing (i.e. will share my requirements across multiple projects). It is very convenient to be able to refer to a requirement by its ID. However, when I import a baseline into a destination project the imported (copied) requirements all have different IDs. 

It means I can't cross-reference requirements based on their ID. 

Does anyone else have any recommended best practice on cross-referencing requirements when they are shared via libraries? 

thank you in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can use workflow to populate a field with "original req id" where you use the project name as a prefix and the ID from the original project as the suffix.

In my experience, you need to be careful how you handle it, for example you need to find a good way how to update the field correctly when you copy a requirement within a project.

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can use workflow to populate a field with "original req id" where you use the project name as a prefix and the ID from the original project as the suffix.

In my experience, you need to be careful how you handle it, for example you need to find a good way how to update the field correctly when you copy a requirement within a project.

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

It's also possible with the sequences table - though I would heavily advise against this.

You would use perhaps DB triggers or similar to ensure that all SEQUENCE table values were set to the maximum from all ALM projects.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.