tezgno Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RetainWebUI - Retain Server cannot be reached

I have performed a new installation of Retain on SLES 12 SP2. In addition, I have retain running via SSL over port 443. I have everything setup and Retain appears to be working properly. I can login to the worker, reporting, and the server all just fine. However, if I browse to the /RetainWebUI directory (the URL that the plugin attempts to load) and then type in my username/password, the page returns an error saying: "Retain Server cannot be reached." I checked the RSConfig.cfg and it points to the correct information. The only thing that I have found is a support TID (7020639) that talks about enabling SSLv3, but I'm not sure if that is a requirement or not for the RetainWebUI application (I surely hope not). Has anyone else ran into this issue or knows where I can check on the server for more information? The log files do not provide much help either.
0 Likes
2 Replies
tezgno Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: RetainWebUI - Retain Server cannot be reached

So...

After doing some tests and configuration changes, I was able to figure out the issue. For anyone else who runs into this problem, it would seem that the default RSConfig.cfg file, located in the /opt/beginfinite/retain/RetainWebUI/WEB-INF/cfg folder, does not properly fill in the retain server information. My file was missing the hostname field. This file is then read by the RetainWebUI application when the first user attempts to login only after the first system startup, which is why you don't see the issue in the logs (by the time this may happen, the log could be rolled over). The log will show the RetainWebUI application read the RSConfig.cfg file, then attempt to connect to http(s):///RetainServer/RestAPI. This, obviously, fails and then all subsequent logins fail. The fix is to put in your retain server's hostname (the same one listed in your configuration as the hostname) and then restart tomcat. After tomcat restarts, reattempt to login. The log will show the RetainWebUI application read the RSConfig.cfg file. But, this time, it loads the proper URL, http(s)://hostname/RetainServer/RestAPI and then get a successful connection. Then, logins work properly.

Personally, I find this to be a bug. First, the RSConfig.cfg file should contain the path to your retain server (it shouldn't be blank). Second, if the hostname field is blank, it should try "localhost". Since the RetainWebUI is typically installed on the same box as the RetainServer (I don't see how it couldn't be since it doesn't give you the option to install it separately), the "localhost" thing should work all of the time.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: RetainWebUI - Retain Server cannot be reached

In article <tezgno.8cqi81@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Tezgno wrote:
> it would seem
> that the default RSConfig.cfg file, located in the
> /opt/beginfinite/retain/RetainWebUI/WEB-INF/cfg folder, does not
> properly fill in the retain server information. My file was missing the
> hostname field.

interesting
on the old installation I'm looking at (started with Retain 1.x, now at
4.2.0.0) the file is ASConfig.cfg and it has a similar gap at the end of
<retainServer> <host></host>...
But this system appears to be behaving. Currently on OES 11.2
I think I will have to do some further digging and testing.

Andy of
http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
Knowledge Partner
http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.