Highlighted
Nisarg1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Connecting to Rumba using VBA

Hi,

I am trying to connect to Rumba using VBA code posted in Rumba forum here:

https://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/mainframe_solutions/rumba/f/12/p/13119/23410.aspx#23410

But I am getting "Run-time error '424': Object Required" at this line: 

ObjectXMFDisplay1.HostInterface.Name = "WallData.TN3270Link"

Could you please tell me what am I missing?

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Connecting to Rumba using VBA

Hi Nisarg,

you need to reference the Control to your project. in Excel VBA Developer go to Tools -> References.
Or you can use a UserForm to place the Rumba Control

UserForm

0 Likes
Nisarg1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Andre,

I have selected ObjectX Mainframe Display Control from Tools -> References using WdMfDsp.Tlb file as mentioned in the post.

0 Likes
TomFitz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Nisarg,

simply adding the reference is not enough, you need to create an instance of a control. In the sample you pointed too, it was using a control embedded on a user form with several buttons.

So the sample solution look like this when executed.

Tom

0 Likes
elcron Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there an AS400 equivalent of "Wd??Dsp.tlb" to use in Exel/Access VBA?

0 Likes
TomFitz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi elcron,

there is no .tlb file for the AS400, however you should be able to add a reference to WDAS4DSP.OCX and then you should have a AS400 display terminal control available for selection in your toolbox.

I note there is an issue with RUMBA 9.4, where trying to execute a form with an embedded AS400 terminal causes VBA to crash. If you are using RUMBA 9.4 you should open a support incident whit Customer Care, so we can have development  address the issue.

Tom

0 Likes
elcron Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, is there any documentation on WDAS4DSP like how to pass data to and from this object like keystrokes and screen grabs?

0 Likes
TomFitz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi elcron,

yes there is some documentation, unfortunately it appears to be part of the Rumba Developer Edition bundle, which I understand is a add on to Rumba. You should contact support line to see if a copy of the WDHost.chm can be provided to you.

Note: Looking through the documentation, it appears as if most of the WDAS4DSP.OCX method call are of the same structure.

e.g. SendKeys, PutScreen, PutScreen2, GetScreen, GetScreen2 are the same.

Also you have read/Write access to the cursor location via the CursorRow & CursorColumn properties.

My advice would be to use the WdMfDsp.tlb as a guide until you can get your hands of a copy of WDHost.chm.

Tom

0 Likes
lokiirs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
I refered to the same forum to write an application to connect to Rumba, I am not not finding ObjectXConfigureTn3270Link type. Which OCX or reference i need to add to get this type.

https://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/mainframe_solutions/rumba/f/12/p/13119/23410.aspx#23410

Could you please tell me what i have missed..? I have added Active X main frame display control.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.