New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE

Cache web form data

Idea ID 2804902

Cache web form data

0 Votes

My organization is doing a lot of work-from-home, and I have had users complain about filling out long forms, clicking "Ok" to submit, and then being given an error message that seems to be due to their session unexpectedly dying due to a VPN hiccup. It would be nice in these circumstances for the error message to allow the user to re-login and be dropped directly into the form they were already working on, preserving their previous entry data.

2 Comments
Admiral
Admiral

Hi, there is an option in the users profile (in the Display section) to 'Restore Saved form Data'.  If that is set to 'Prompt' it should prompt the user when they return to the Submit screen if they want to restore the previously entered data.

I know this works if they just navigate away from the Submit screen - but not sure if the same is true if they lose connection to the system.

Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Another option, but much more work, would be to implement some level of data validation on the form using Form Actions or JavaScript.  That will run locally in the user's browser and prevent a round-trip to the server.

Eventually they'll have to do the round trip though.

Another idea would be to implement a connectivity check of the server using JavaScript in the "when this form is submitted" action.  If the server isn't connected, fail the transition with a message about the server being unavailable.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.