ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

SBM MODSCRIPT, PART 16 - BASE64DECODE

SBM MODSCRIPT, PART 16 - BASE64DECODE

I recently discovered that I would need a way to do base64 decoding for a ModScript I was writing. This can be tricky, as the output could be a binary value with embedded zeros. You could certainly do this with the output as a Vector with each entry a uint8_t (unsigned byte). However, in my use case, I knew that the data was text and could be represented as a string. As such, I wrote the following:

add_global_const("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/", "CONST_BASE64TABLE");
def Base64DecodeAsText( string input ) { // assumes output is valid text (not binary)   
  var sOut = "";

var buf = [uint8_t(),uint8_t(), uint8_t(), uint8_t()];
  var encoded = int( input.size() );
  var count = 3 * ( encoded / 4 );
  var i = 0;
  var j = 0;

while ( sOut.size() < count ) {
    // Get the next group of four characters
    //    'xx==' decodes to  8 bits
    //    'xxx=' decodes to 16 bits
    //    'xxxx' decodes to 24 bits
    for_each( buf, fun( entry ){ entry = 0; } ); // zero out buffer
    var stop = min( encoded - i + 1, 4 );
    for ( j = 0; j < stop; ++j ) {
      if ( input == '=' ) {
        // '=' indicates less than 24 bits
        buf = 0;
        --j;
        break;
      }

// find the index_of inside CONST_BASE64TABLE for our value
      buf = fun( s, c ) {
        for ( var i = 0; i < s.size(); ++i ) {
          if ( s == c ) {
	        return i;
	      }
        }
        return string_npos;
      }( CONST_BASE64TABLE, input );
      ++i;
    }

// Assign value to output buffer
    sOut += char(buf[0] << 2 | buf[1] >> 4);
    if ( sOut.size() == count || j == 1 ) {
      break;
    }

sOut += char(buf[1] << 4 | buf[2] >> 2);
    if ( sOut.size() == count || j == 2 ) {
      break;
    }

sOut += char(buf[2] << 6 | buf[3]);
  }

return sOut;
}

The function above iterates the input string contents and uses base64 to create an decoded output string. Notice that the "buf" variable is a Vector of 4 unsigned, 8 bit integers. As we are going to use bit shifting in order to decode the data, it is important to use unsigned byte data to ensure the expected bit-shift result. We find the index of the character in CONST_BASE64TABLE to find the data-representation we are looking for, then use bit shifting to convert the buf value to text. The result is the original text after processing the base64 algorithm. A possible use case for this might be in decoding HTTP headers from a REST call. 

SBM ModScript - Table of Contents

Labels (1)

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎2020-07-29 16:09
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.