Variable Approver Orchestration

Variable Approver Orchestration

approved.png

I commonly hear the request to have an approval step in a workflow that is going to be variable.  The other catch to this request is that the approvers change somewhat frequently, so there is a desire to not to have to make an administrative change each time the approver is going to change.

The best way to implement this is using an auxiliary table that will contain the user field with the defined approver and add permissions for a specified group of people to be able to update the auxiliary table records.

The challenge becomes, how do I get that approver field value copied to my workflow.  Before the days of orchestrations, we commonly would use TeamScript/AppScript for this.

Orchestrations make implementing this very easy and WITHOUT any code!  The attached document steps you through the configuration of the orchestration.  You can either follow all of the instructions and build a sample orchestration, or jump to slide 16 and start with the transition action.  Just make sure you review the Requirements slide to ensure you have all of the fields needed.

Also included in the zip file is the sample application where all of the elements are already built if you want to download that file for reference.

Approver Orchestration Documents:  ApproverOrchestration.zip

NOTE:  If you read my previous blog entry about the order of events in SBM then you may already know what I am about to say....If you put this orchestration on a submit transition to populate the owner of the first state in your workflow, you are likely going to get an error.  This is because SBM is checking for the required fields before running your orchestration.  Since you have ownership set to the user field in the orchestration, if it is blank, SBM is not even going to run your orchestration because it wants a value in that field.  So a workaround is to set a default value to someone in that user list.  It does not matter who because your orchestration will override it each time.

Labels (1)

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Comments
Nice disclaimer! Thanks for the write up and example for downloading.
Erika, thank you for sharing that example! I have a similar use case for variabloe approver orchestration and want to know whether your approach could help with that. Depending on two conditions the item shall be routed to specific approvers. The Conditions are Region and Product where we have 4 Regions and 10 Products. Would love to see you thoughts, thanks Jo
Erika, thank you for that nice tutorial. I have a similar case where the Approver varies depending on two different conditions (Regions 4; and Products 10). I wondering if what you described would work here as well. Anny thoughts how to Approach? Thanks Again Jo 🙂
Hi Jo, One option for you would be to create an auxiliary table record for each Region and Product combination and assign the appropriate user. You would need to alter the orchestration a bit in order to query for the matching auxiliary table record, but this would provide the same flexibility and meet your requirement. Erika
This was the direction I was already heading towards but I did not yet figure ot how to combine the Values of two Single Selection Fields (Product; Region) and use it as input for the lookup from auxiliary table. (I dont want the useres to scroll through a List of 40 different combinations like Product_A_ Asia; Product_B_Asia...) Jo
Hi Jo, If you store the product and region in their own auxiliary table, and in the product table include a single relational to the region table, then configure a dependency so that when they choose region, the product field is filtered to just the selections for that region.
That did the job! Thanks a million! that is very very helpfull.
Succesful Implemented! Right now I try to figure out how to build a two level dependency for filtering the Products bringing in a Product Categorie as well...
Hey Erica - I'm experiencing something strange - try to implement exactly the same to another workflow. When trying to establish the dependencies i do not get any indipendent fields displayed. Is there something known abou this? Jo
Jo regarding your recent question regarding independent fields displayed....I am guessing this is when you are editing the value restrictions in the workflow? What would drive that field population would be the attribute on the field in the Data Design where you would have selected the dependent fields. Did you check that box?
Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
4 of 4
Last update:
‎2020-12-14 21:09
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.