Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
forumadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can a workflow have 2 different Submit Forms for submit transition?

Question posted 9/10/10 by Sid Pad
Details:

Can a workflow have 2 different Submit Forms for submit transition? So that one user can be assigned with one submit form and the other one to another submit form for the same submit transistion.
Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Can a workflow have 2 different Submit Forms for submit transition?

Comment posted 9/12/10 by Dave Sheaffe

As far as I am aware there is no way to achieve this. While you can have multiple submit transitions on a workflow - only one can be used in the "manual" submit process (ie, when you submit to a project). The other submit transitions can only be used for "automated" style submits (eg, with Create Sub-task, Post, etc) transitions.
On the "manual" submit, I have not seen any way to change the submit screen based on the user doing the submission.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Comment posted 9/20/10 by Sid Pad

Thanks Dave.
Is there any other way I can achieve this?

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Comment posted 9/20/10 by Dave Sheaffe

The only other suggestions I have are:

Depending on how differerent the screens needed to be, you could use the embedded Javascript (in the later SBM releases) to show/hide fields etc. For example you could have a single dropdown and when the value was selected in that field that drove the changes on the form to show/hide the necessary fields.
Create 2 seperate projects (each using its own submit screen), then on one of the projects setup an automated transition that posted the new item to the other project. So basically one project was used as a kick off point to use a seperate form - but not used for anything after that. Then setup which users submit to which project.

I certainly wouldn't recommend using the second option - but I suppose it depends on how despaerate you are to have different submit screens.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Comment posted 9/20/10 by Sid Pad

Thanks so much Dave. I also like the idea of second option.

0 Likes
gianluca_aiello Contributor.
Contributor.

Using solution 1, how do you intercept user role via javascript in the submit form?
0 Likes
edward_whitbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe the easiest way of doing this would be to use a SBM script to querey the database on the transition to grab the roles and set them to a hidden field on the form. Then use the javascript to read this field. Hope that helps!
0 Likes
gianluca_aiello Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks Ed, I think tht this could help me.
0 Likes
jeff_malin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You don't need to create a field in the DB for this purpose if the value doesn't need to be in a Field for other reasons, just stream in a "var myRole = 'Something'" within <script> tags on a pre-transition script and it will be available for your JS use.
0 Likes
edward_whitbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good to know! Thank you!
0 Likes
matt_stratton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm wondering if there is a way to hack this for my use. We use SRC and I want to create a form for "IT Submit", which would be used by IT techs to submit incidents. The form for this should be different than the main form used for all users.

My idea was to create another transition on the Submit that went right to Investigation and Diagnosis, and used the IT Submit form. I tried to then create a Service Catalog item that submitted into Incidents using that form, but it errors out.

Does a form have to be in the workflow in order for SRC to see it as an option?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.