fludlow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can attachments be automatically updated in a workflow?

We are designing a workflow for document approval which attaches the document to the process. As the document moves from Approver #1 to Approver #2, etc, the document could be modified or rejected back to the originator. Is there a method to attach the file via PVCS or VSS (the "tip") to allow changes to be made in the version control tool and continue the process flow or do you need to iterate the workflow and remove the old file and attach the revised until final approval?
0 Likes
3 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Can attachments be automatically updated in a workflow?

I know SBm has a built in integration with sharepoint to do what you are talking about however I'm not fmailiar with a way to version control a doc in PVCS this way. I suspect a web service could be created to do it but an attachement in SBM item needs to be a related item in PVCS or CM, and this I would be interested in.
0 Likes
dwimpelb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am thinking a link to the file instead on an attachment. If you use an item link, then whomever clicks the attachment will be brought to the location of the item as it exists wherever, including in a PVCS/VSS/SVN, etc.

We allow multiple attachments, and filter the results of the approval process to only grab the latest attachment, which is the final approved document. No need to delete the already attached documents each time a file is attached, this provides audit history.
0 Likes
Not applicable

I have created url links using SBM and the url widgit and used a field in the SBM item as a varibale to extend the url making it a dynamic url link. I suppose you could do this if you can get the url syntax right with a versioned item. I imagine PVCS isn't using the filename to track probably more like item_spec so I'm not sure how this would fre for you.

Anyway even if you got the link working you'd still need a way to upload the SBM attachment in SBM to PVCS once it was approved.

Here's another idea why not write an appscript that get's called when appropriate to run a command file that uses PVCS commands to upload the attachment and put it in to PVCS?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.