Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have you migrated to Workcenter?

I am admittedly an old timer that started with TeamShare so I'm probably just slow on the uptake to the Workcenter UI, but I am reluctant to use it. I find it quite confusing and I can't imagine the average user understanding how to add new pages of widgets.

It seems like the power users may like it, but the typical, occasional user will be lost if they try to configure their own widgets or tweak the UI.

I must be missing some of the administrative controls. I wouldn't mind trying it if I could easily configure new pages for users and propagate them to specific groups, but it appears I need to do a logon-as function and set their profiles individually.

I like the UI control I have with traditional SBM, but willing to consider WC if others have experienced great user acceptance of the transition to WC.

Thanks!

Roger
16 Replies
Commodore
Commodore

Sounds like some of the functionality you are searching for is in the latest release, like setting up the dashboard and pushing it out to groups. I'm in the same position, have not yet introduced WC to end users but isn't the idea that once set up this interface should be easier for the occasional user?

What are the benefits?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, Roger. The Serena team has been exclusively using Work Center since it was introduced in SBM 10.1.3. I personally enjoy using it a lot. There are some nice new features, like Activity views and the Report Center. Almost all of the features in the classic UI are available, with a few exceptions.

The best part of the migration is that you still have access to the classic UI, so it doesn't have to be "all or nothing." You can try using it yourself for awhile, and then roll out the new interface to small sets of users at a time. That might be easier than a full migration all at once.

Have you looked at the Transition Guide we prepared? You can find the latest version here:

http://help.serena.com/doc_center/sbm/ver10_1_5_1/wc_changes.pdf

If you need an older version, let me know and I'll send you the link.

Also, we created an on-boarding video based on SBM 10.1.5. You may want to look at that, if you haven't already.

And there is some administrative guidance in the SBM Application Administrator Guide. Search for "Configuring Serena Work Center."

Hope this helps.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Pam.

We are running 10.1.5.1 and I have read the admin guides. What I'd like to do is lock down the WC UI so I know exactly what folks will see. Until 10.1.5 I couldn't event login as another user in WC so I had no way to know what they were seeingwith the app. Having everyone in the organization designing their own dashboards with different widgets significantly compounds the support load for the product. You work for a company that lives and breaths SBM - my typical user may not use it for days or weeks at a time and may not remember what they changed.

I generally like the WC interface, but worry that user's individual setups will get very confusion, especially if I start releasing 2 or 3 additional projects to an existing environment.

That is why I was curious if anyone (other than Serena employees :-)) was supporting a large population of users with WC. While it sounds like big brother controlling them, locking down users' UI components is the only efficient way to support them.

Thanks again,

Roger
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've tested the WC but have not had the time to show the users yet.

We are updating to the latest SBM release in early June. After the upgrade we will start showing users WC.

Regards,

Will
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As we strive to make Work Center the premier interface for SBM, I'd be very interested to hear of any other barriers to adoption that community members have encountered - whether it's features, training, information, migration or any other factor.

Thanks!
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Dave,
I have to echo Roger's concern. While I personally like most of what Work Center has to offer, my occasional users are almost totally lost. We have a culture that is, "If I have to read even one page of documentation, then I don't like it." Most of our users are young iPhone and iPad users, and expect to be able to manipulate their tech by intuitively poking around. I am leveraging Application Groups in an unintended way--not by grouping process apps (we have only one, anyway), but by activating the same, one app in each group where I then create dashboards and views appropriate for a user role: manager, developer, tester, etc. I hope this is sufficient, but I still get a lot of feedback that is, "I have no idea what to do here." Though it is not a complete solution, one suggestion would be to make the brief tutorial that users see when they log in for the first time available to us adminstrators. Most people ignore it of course, and immediately click "Dismiss". I would like to force resurrect that, and be able to customize the content so that I could provide new instruction each week.
Thanks,
-Steve
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have about 300 weekly internal users (and about 2000 end users) and have completely migrated to workcenter. We are only using SBM since last year but basically we have had the following responses:
1. for a new user, "selling" the old UI was very difficult. With workcenter non problem
2. Existing users were very happy to migrate.

The notion of dashboards is quite eay to understand. What we do is to prepare a "standard" dashboard for each group and push that. Then each group will improve on that and develop their own set of dashboards.

The mose use we get out of workcenter is however in views that are not available at all in UWS, especially activity. The activity view if carefully adjusted for ones ween will replace most of the classic reports and is much more productive.

In terms of missing features, currently the application grouping does not work very well and is not very flexible. We would like to be able to simply add or remove for example applications in the SSM set and it would be nice to be able to reorder them (you can reorder the dashboards within an app, but not app groups).

The search in workcenter is also much better. However one thing that is missing is a slider to restrict dates (I think there is a enty in the ideas section for that).

So while I understand the fear of Roger to not be able to fully control the user experience, the basic setup that you can now perform is IMO sufficient. Over time users will be much more productive in workcenter.
Commodore
Commodore

During Submit, I see a "Service Catalog" section. We aren't using Request Center, so is there a way to hide that? Likewise, how do we hide the "Services" selection from the "Look In" section when browsing for a project?

This is one of the things we need to resolve before embracing SWC.
0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Received these queries from Support to eliminate those entries:

delete from sdf_auditlog where service_id=1
delete from sdf_serviceaction where id=1
delete from sdf_service where id=1
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have been slowly migrating teams to WC. We actually use all three interfaces right now. Our business folks generally submit and/or find what they need in the Service Request Center interface. Our developers and provisioning/procurement admins typically use the traditional interface. And our helpdesk/service desk folks use work center because the dashboard views are great for them in terms of organizing and prioritizing work.

We just built our first solution that is intended to be used entirely in WC. It will roll out in a few weeks. Each interface has its ups and downs and using all three can be a bit of a maintenance nightmare with custom forms and when upgrade times comes around. But none of the three seem to cover every base for us (yet) and so we use a best tool for the job approach which relies entirely on the type of solution and the audience it is for.

I like Work Center for finding items and monitoring day to day activities, but I am not a fan of how the report center works or the submit process. It is getting better with every release though.
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

We have migrated our users to WorkCenter exclusively. The previous version of our solution was "legacy" TeamTrack / SBM UI. I'm not handling support tickets from users, but I think the majority of questions are about our radically different implementation of the solution and not the UI component.
Personally I like the basic search on Workcenter which is a global search. Branding is a bit more complete. The most frustrating thing for me is following relational field links. Workcenter wants to open these in a single modal pane that, after following several parent-child links, makes it impossible to return to the "top level" item or search list results. The workaround is to CTRL-CLICK on links to open them in a new browser tab.

My manager is insistent on everyone in the development team being intimately familiar with the UI that users are on.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.