edward_whitbeck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it possible to change the fixed length of a text field after deploying with no limit?

I have a project that has been in production and now need to limit the length of the text field. It was originally selected to be a fixed length field, with no limit (255). I changed this limit to 15 in composer and deployed and no change is reflected when testing.

I assume the database structure is set upon deployment the first time, and can not be changed, however since composer leaves the ability to change this number I was hoping that it was possible.
Tags (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
bamos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Is it possible to change the fixed length of a text field after deploying with no limit?

Ed,

I'm not sure this is what you're having a hard time with but see if the screen shot helps. Are you talking about the field still taking too much room on your form after you made this change? You can manually set the width of the text field on the form by altering the design tab.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Re: Is it possible to change the fixed length of a text field after deploying with no limit?

Brian,

I appriciate the fast reply. I am not having an issue with phyiscal field length, I appologize for not being clear in my post. It is the character value length that is the concern. I am trying to change the value in the database max field length from 255, to 15 for a specific text field.
0 Likes
bamos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I got this message when I tried to change my Title field to 20 char. I'm guessing you got the same message? It says it will ignore my change but I don't know how to get around it.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Brian,

I do not get any error message, I am able to change the "Fixed Length" and deploy, and have no error messages. However when testing it it still allows 255 characters.
0 Likes
bamos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm not sure when this msgbox was added. I'm using 2009 R4 but the end result for you is what the msgbox is saying.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

I believe I am on an older version (R2) before this patch was applied. I guess at this point it is not an option to shorten the field length, the change is simply ignored.
0 Likes
dsheaffe Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Ed, from memory I seem to remember this reported as a defect, ie, that Composer will appear to allow you to change the text length after the app has been deployed (even though in reality it does not change the db field). What I have done previously to get around this issue (but only when it was really critical) was to create a new text field with the new length, then copy the values from the original field to the new one, and then display the new field on your forms and hide the old one.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks dsheaffe. That is what I was afraid that I may have to do.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.