Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Linking to external pages from within SBM between environments

Our SBM system is set up across 3 environments (DEV, STAGING, PROD). We have been experimenting with linking to outside systems from within a frame in SBM (BIRT, and an in-house created application). These applications also have the 3 environment setup. We would like to be able to change the link to these systems without redeploying our SBM workflow. Currently, we need to change the link and redeploy each time we promote our workflow to one of the other environments. Is there any current way to do what we are looking for? Thanks!
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Linking to external pages from within SBM between environments

I'm not aware of any direct way to do this however could you create an aux table with the different level of environments - and use this to complete the url link. I know I have used an ID for another system that a user plugs in and then use that user value as a variable in my url link. As long as the user enters the proper id, the url link works perfectly. I don't see any reason why you couldn't read an aux table and do the same thing.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Mike, I think that will do the trick. Here's how I have it set up.

I created an auxiliary table with just the title field. I populate this title field with my different servers that I will link to. Then, in each project where it's needed, I add a single relational field pointing to this auxiliary table. On my forms, I modify the button or link behavior to have the relational field value in the URL. I deploy and set the default via the System Administrator to what it should be for all new records in tha project. Then, for each environment, I can just set the default after the initial promotion.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you're building the links on the client side, you can use some client-side JavaScript to determine the environment based on the SBM server URL.

function getEnvironment() {

var loc = window.location.href;

if (loc.indexOf("mydev.server") != -1) {

return("dev");

} else if (loc.indexOf("mystage.server") != -1) {

return("acc");

} else if (loc.indexOf("myprod.server") != -1) {

return("prod");

} else {

return("unknown")

}

}

Then when you construct the links, switch based on the getEnvironment() call.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.