Highlighted
forumadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Parallel flow

Question posted 6/15/09 by Mae
Details:

Could anyone advise me on creating a parallel flow? How could I make a transition from one state branch out simultaneously to two different states, for instance: if a user on State A approves the form, it will proceed to State B and State C at the same time?
Also, is it possible to combine or link 2 sub workflow together? If a user do Action 1 on Workflow A, continue to Workflow B. If user do Action 2 on Workflow A, proceed to Workflow C.
I'm new to Mashup and still in a stage of exploring. I appreciate if anyone could help me on this. Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Parallel flow

Comment posted 6/16/09 by mtcarver

It's only one item and so cannot be at two different states at the same time. If you need to have 2 seperate items either in the same states or in a totaly different process flow you'll have to sub-task. Once you sub-task you'll have the ability to have the sub-task action create the links from parent to child and child to parent or no link at all if you desire that.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Re: Parallel flow

Comment posted 6/16/09 by Oliver Kraus

Let's compare a Workflow with a game: There can be only one ball (=Item) in the game. A new ball is put into the game if an item is submitted into a project.
The ball (usually) has an owner. Someone who plays with the ball can pass the ball to someone else (this is often done by performing a transition from state A to state B)
Just like a physical ball, the item can not be duplicated: You can not simply start with one ball in state A and expect (after a transition) two balls in state B and C. You can only put the ball into state B OR state C, but never both.
However, Mashup introduces Copy, Subtask and Post transitions. These transitions will put new balls into the game. For many of my Mashups I decided to create two different applications. If an item in one application requires an additional (parallel) item, it is created via post transition in the parallel application. These items can be synchronized in different ways: Events or subtask-relations. Subtask relations are often used if an item has to wait for some other item to be processed.
According to your question: The transition from state A to state B within application 1 could be a subtask transition which creates a new item in a different application 2 which directly puts the item into state A (of application 2)
... I never used sub-workflows so far...
Best regards,
Oliver

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.