Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Process apps missing in Composer after clone

SBM 10.1.1.1, Windows 7, SQL Server 2005. I have a working production server (X) and I would like to re-create it on my local machine (Y) as a development environment.

Per Serena Supports instructions, I did a backup of the SQL Server database used by X, created a new one, then restored the backup into the new database. I then opened SBM Application Repository on X and Cloned the Default Environment (production) to make a new one, pointing it to Y.

If I go to http://serverY/tmtrack/tmtrack.dll, the app works fine and I can see it posting to the new database. But in Composer, when I try to open a repository (not local cache), it says "No process apps found. You may not have privileges to view any process apps". My user has all privs that I'm aware of. What am I missing?

In Composer Options, I'm "working online" and connected to Y.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Process apps missing in Composer after clone

Hi Steve,

Tom's suggestion will likely create import your currently running process apps into a brand new Repository database. This is not recommended except in well-defined circumstances.

Where is your Application Repository database pointing to on Server X?

It sounds like you created Server Y and specified the Application Repository on Server Y to point to the Server Y database. This would show an empty Repository if Server X was storing the Repository in a different database. You can verify this in the SBM Configurator.

David
0 Likes
Not applicable

I think the question here is

Do you want a shared application administrator with different environments or do you want a completely seperate system not linked to each other in any way?

If you want everything completely seperate then Ton has the answer.

If you want to be able to promote from development Server y to production server X then David is right.

Personally I have both setups..:)
0 Likes
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Mike, I want the scenario where I can promote from development to production (Y to X).

In Configurator on Y, all Components on the Database Servers tab (App Engine, Orch Engine, App Repo, and Common Log) are pointing to the new (Y) database, which was a restore of the production X database. When I look in Configurator on X, all Components point to the X database.

So if the Y database is a copy of the X database, shouldn't a copy of the X apps show up in Y's Composer? Tom, I don't see an option in App Repo for "Get Process App From Application Engine". See screenshots.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Steve,

To promote from development to production, you only want 1 Application Repository Database. This being said, something about does not seem right here.

Your first step should be to point to Composer to the production application repository. Modifying process apps in the production repository will not modify the process app in the production environment until you deploy to that environment. So, you can modify your process app, and then deploy to your development environment. Once you are ready then you may promote your process app and projects to your production environment.

The term environment is synonymous with the Application Engine component.

David
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The first question to ask, Where do you want your Repository Database? The production server or the development server? Use the Application Repository server component on your development and production server to point to only one application repository database.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Steve,

Looks like David is getting you on the right track. You only want one application administrator for what you are doing
0 Likes
tclement Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks David for getting Steve on the right track. I answered this too quickly :).

Tom
0 Likes
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay thanks, that did it. I pointed Composer to the X server and the apps showed up. I didn't realize there should only be one App Repo. I'm a web developer, so I'm used to working with an application as files, not records in a db. 🙂

So should I change anything in Configurator on Y? As in, should the Database tab have db X for Application Repository and db Y for the other 3 components? If I don't have to then I guess I don't know what that setting in Configurator even does.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It was not necessary to install the App Repository on server Y at all, but the default install always does.

I would use the Configurator on Y > Database tab to point to the db X for the App Repository. Then, if you point Composer to server Y or server X, you will always get the Repository database on server X. There is less potential for "accidents" this way.
0 Likes
bamos Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Steve, Just a point of clarity from Tom's message. If you click on the Environments on the left and then click on the Deployed Process Apps that's where is was referring where the option to "Get process app from app engine" is. Not that that's what you want to do in this situation but just fyi.
0 Likes
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ah, found it now. I didn't realize you had to click on an Environment to see all those tabs. Thanks!
0 Likes
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay since you guys are teaching me more in a day than I've learned in the last month... 🙂

So was it even necessary to clone that production environment? Seems like maybe I could have created a new blank db Y, installed the server software on Y, and pointed Composer to X. I probably didn't even need to do the step where I backed up X and restored to Y, right?
0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes you would need to get copies of your prod application - this way you can edit them in composer and promote your changes from devl to prod once the changes were tested.. etc...so when you change things in composer you'll deploy to devl(Y) and them promote from Y to X(prod) when you promote you get the benefit of notifications, reports, and admin changes(overrides, etc..) in your prod environment without having to make manual changes in prod. It's a beautiful thing..
0 Likes
sexendine Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Thanks again, all!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.