Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

SBM custom view for selection of multiple user values?

We have a dependent multi-user field dependent on a single selection field. I would like to replace that configuration as follows:

1) Remove the dependency.

2) Add a new independent field, either single selection or multi-selection. The new field should only be for reference, and will not be carried forward.

3) The multi-user field will be dependent on the new independent field.

4) The transitioner selects a value from the selection field, then selects one ore more values from the multi-user field.

5) The transitioner modifies the independent field value and selects from the multi-user field again, retaining the values just selected prior to the new selections.

The advantage of such a setup is that the transitioner can select from each department instead of guessing who is available from a master list.

Second-best, if successive selections are not practical, would be selecting multiple values if needed in the independent field, and then selecting values from the dependent field, from a combined list.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: SBM custom view for selection of multiple user values?

I should add that the reason for desiring the change is that selecting from the dependent multi-user field, dependent on one department, does not always provide the values needed; on the other hand, having no dependency means selecting from a master list of about 290 values.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I'm now leaning toward simply having the new independent field appear with the dependent field. The transitioner would select one or more values from the independent multi-selection field and select values from the dependent multi-user field. I assume selecting one at a time is impractical. If there is a simple way of selecting a value at a time, let me know; otherwise, I'll choose the practical method.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can't use multi-anything as the Independent component of a field dependency relationship. Check the "Field Dependencies" table in Composer guide (p.226 in the 10.1.1.4 PDF)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Not applicable

Could you use JavaScript to store the values selected into another field appending the values from the previous selection then write those values back to the multi user field using JavaScript or app script which ever is more appropriate
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

The question is answered:

1) Independent fields may not be multi-user.

2) It turns out that I can change the values in an independent single-selection field, select dependent multi-user field values (which are retained); then change the independent field value and select different dependent field values.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.