Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sending Notifications to Non-SBM Users.

I would like to know if there is a way to send notifications or broadcasts to non-SBM users. The requirement is to send automatic notification to the external client's email address which is stored in a sub-relational field. At this point we can only send it using the manual sending on SBM emails and we would like to automate it.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We implemented this using a notification that would run an app script. Within the app script we send the email using native Windows commands
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you David, I'll try something like that.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you mind sharing that app script that you used for this solution?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

External or occasional users might help you get around this issue.

You can also just use AppScript to place a message in the TS_NOTIFICATIONMESSAGES table and let the notification server send the message for you.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am attaching a zip with our solution:
[list=1]
  • Screenshot of the notification confiiguration
  • appscript
  • powershell
  • html template used

Please note that I did not take the time to simplfy the code. Both appscript and posershell are more complex than need be since we wrote them to cover several different cases.

In any case this allows to send emails to someone who is not even known by serena or who does not have any license.
  • Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

You also may want to check out the latest Virtual User Group webcast. It covered lots of tips and tricks about using notifications and e-mail responses.

http://www.serena.com/index.php/en/products/it-process-portal-management/sbm/user-group/
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

I make my living doing this for people, but since this one is fairly simple I have attached it. :)

Cheers,
    Lynn
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

Thank you for all your help.:)
    0 Likes
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

Hello,

How would we execute this by adding a new entry in the TS_NOTIFICATIONMESSAGES table? I have added a new entry but am unsure what needs to be done to "trigger" the notification to be sent and leave the TS_NOTIFICATIONMESSAGES table.
    0 Likes
    Absent Member.
    Absent Member.

I may be over simplifying the request, but if the email address in question is a single address, or perhaps a few, you may consider just creating a user (or users) and assign the email address to that user and subscribe it to the notification you created. The user does not need to have any access to projects per say so you shouldn't have any security/access concerns with that approach.
    0 Likes
    Micro Focus Expert
    Micro Focus Expert

This is great David! Thanks for sharing.
    0 Likes
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.