forumadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

TT 6.6.1: Moving from "test" environment to "production" environment - best way?

Discussion posted 3/6/08 by George Bonvanie
Details:

kaufmanjc

I am trying to figure out how to move my new workflow and projects that have been painstakingly generated on my test server over to my production server.
I have read the Serena Admin documentation, but there is apparently a lack of understanding because I am not sure what I want to do...export/import XML? Export directly from database to database? Deploy?
Background:
1) Our database is SQL Server 2000.
2) Production and Test are on two different servers.
3) There is only 1 workflow on the production server. The new workflow is independent, separate primary table.
4) I want to copy over everything - except I don't care about the raw data/issues.
But I do want to copy over the workflow (parent and one subworkflow) as well as the associated Project/subprojects. I want to copy over the user groups. I understand that I cannot copy users. But I want to copy notifications, etc.
From a SQL Server standpoint, I would think I want this new workflow to go into the same physical database file as my existing workflow.
I tried using XML Export/Import - but on the import side in the production server, it is forcing me to select my existing workflow to mush my new one into. I don't want that - I want it to have it's own workflow off of the base.
The copy database function sounds to me like it is going to copy me a new SQL Server database file - which I don't want either, right?
I have searched this forum and couldn't find anything specifically addressing this issue.
I have also searched the Serena Knowledgebase with no luck.
Thank you for your time!
Janet
Posted 1/4/2008 10:57 AM

jktice

I ran into the same issue. I have our DBA copy our entire DEV Oracle DB to our PROD environment. I've never found an easy option other then this. At least this option will get me everything...including Attachements, which we also store in the Oracle DB.
Jim
Posted 1/4/2008 12:35 PM

kaufmanjc

Well, Jim, that is interesting to know. In my case, I don't need any of the "data"/"issues" (in fact, they are just junk records and I don't really want them at all), but I want all of the "structure element" stuff. Hopefully someone out in Connect land has some input for both of us...
Posted 1/4/2008 12:41 PM

dsaber

The only thing I can think of is that before you tried the import you had clicked on the existing workflow (or it was selected by default)...with the way the import works, if you selected a workflow prior to trying to import...it will stick whatever you imported under that workflow...you'd need to make sure you click on the top level (I think the documentation refers to it as the organization or company...or something like that) before trying the import.
Posted 1/4/2008 2:42 PM

lmattie

You have to export and import the table first. Then you should be able to put the new workflow under the new table. In general for a new table the order is: Table, Workflow/Projects, and then Groups.
Posted 1/4/2008 4:07 PM

trowlphaz

I spoke with Alan Bargerstock about this same issue. He is a trainer for Serena. He explained that the document step-by-steps are difficult to understand and exporting/importing could cause huge problems in your production environment if this not handled correctly. His suggestion was to attend the Advanced TT class to learn exactly how to convert from a test environment to production correctly. This is covered in that class completely and you walk through several practice exercises to learn the process.
TT initially was not developed for an environment process. Serena has identified the need but the process is not easy.
Posted 1/10/2008 3:21 PM

ttgensource

Since you already created your new worklfows, this might not help you now, but for major changes to existing workflows, for me the deployment tool is the way to go. It brings over everything in one step, as is, aside from any test data. The downside is that you have to sync the databases prior to making any changes and you can't make any other changes to your production environment unitl you've deployed the new changes from the test environment. I've been to the Advanced TT class. It went through examples, but I didn't really get much more out of if than I already had from reading the documentation.
Posted 1/11/2008 11:27 AM

kaufmanjc

Thanks to everyone for their help!
ttgensource - what was involved in "sync"ing the databases?
- Janet
Posted 1/11/2008 12:11 PM

ttgensource

If you search for deployment tool in the helps, you'll find an overview of the steps and the command-lines for performing the steps. The test environment needs to start off as a locked copy of the production environment. The sync command verifies that this has been done.
Posted 1/14/2008 10:54 AM
0 Likes
1 Reply
forumadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TT 6.6.1: Moving from "test" environment to "production" environment - best way?

This is an old migrated post that has been assigned status Complete.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.