Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Truncate field display on report

What is the best practice to limit the size of a field on a report. We want to allow for a full description to be added to an item; however, particularly lengthy descriptions cause for reports to display overly long.

With the idea that if additional detail is requested, a user may open the item and read directly, what approach have you taken to overcome this?

Say, as an example, we wished to limit to 255 characters. Our current thought is to create a separate field ('Short Description') limited to 255 and have a script copy 'Description' and paste into 'Short Description'. Ideally this would be an option within the report when creating it, but as far as I can tell this is not presently available.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Truncate field display on report

Jimmy,

If you need exactly 250 characters to show I like your idea of making a "short description" field but when the description field is shown on a listing report in newer versions of sbm and the field is large you should be able to click the collapse all link and have it shrink to a set amount. You can then open individual ones if you want or expand them all. When you run the report again it should remember the expand all or collapse all setting.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Have you considered using a Query View report? That would allow you to reformat any number of fields as needed. Any reports that need to show the "truncated" version of the field could report on the View table -- otherwise use the primary table.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In this example, I will be creating a scheduled report to deliver the PDF version of the report via email. I apologize for leaving that piece of information out of the initial post.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have not. The intent was to make a Manager Report that could be set as a scheduled report within the tool. This way an authorized party could add/remove fields or adjust the schedule without requiring a special access or knowledge set.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.