adil_k_hussain Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Want to update parent ticket from multiple child tickets

I'm having following issue:

I have a parent ticket that creates multiple child tickets (7 tickets) which are assigned to different departments who in turn work on resolving their specific tasks.

Now I want to get the "resolution" field out of all child tickets and update the parent ticket such that parent ticket has all the information for all the child-tasks.

- I'm able to update parent ticket from single child ticket. My solution involves locking parent ticket for update and then updating it. DRAWBACK: If another sub-ticket also wants to update at the same time or if some one is working on parent ticket; it will not/might not work as parent ticket is already locked.

Have anybody else came across this issue and what type of solution was used to resolve this issue.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Want to update parent ticket from multiple child tickets

I'm trying to hack at it using appscript.

here are the steps:
1) Find pointer to all subtasks for given parent ticket. They are in multi-relational field that shows up as a string.*
2) Form a for loop that will look at each subtask pointer, find the corresponding subtask.
a) get the "resolution" field of the subtask
b) write to parent ticket "resolution" field
c) repeat for all sub-tasks.

* My current issue is how to get values out of string. I was thinking of forming an array but arrays are not supported. Is there another way to split the string to get the data out.
For clarity; I have following string
fldValue = ",123,345,567,"
I can format it to
fldValue = "123,345,567"
I was hoping to use vbscript split function to form an array (but it's not supported in appscript). So I'm stuck. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Re: Want to update parent ticket from multiple child tickets

I'm trying to add my script here, but am not able to
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.