ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Commander
Commander

We are currently running SBM 11.03 - what are our options with adobe flash after December 31 2020

Hi All,

We need urgent SME help on this.

We have contents in SBM that are dependent on Adobe Flash Player that is ending support this month end.

So what are our options and alternatives and mitigation plans  in the short run ? 

If we do not do anything or any upgrades or updates after December 31 st 2020 , will existing Adobe Flash Player work or not ? if works then any possible security issues   ?

If we upgrade to SBM 11.4.2 problems will be solved ?

What all others are who delayed their conversion of Adobe Flash Player to new technologies like HTML5 etc are doing for continuity after December 2020 ?

Any examples of possible or tested solutions  with any free trails for testing newer versions of  SBM without Adobe flash player working ? what happened to flash contents ?

Anyone tried the solutions like Harman as third party solution support offered by Adobe ?

We really appreciate any level of advice or ideas or guidance in these questions urgently as time is of essence in next two or three  weeks .

Thank you all in advance 

Udaya 

0 Likes
26 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

• If we do not do anything or any upgrades or updates after December 31 st 2020 , will existing Adobe Flash Player work or not ?

No.  Browsers will disable the use of Flash - therefore the Flash Player will not be launchable from your browser.

• If we upgrade to SBM 11.4.2 problems will be solved ?

Yes.

• Any examples of possible or tested solutions  with any free trails for testing newer versions of  SBM without Adobe flash player working ? what happened to flash contents ?

Later versions of SBM do not use Flash, thus the fact that the Flash Player does not work is irrelevant.  For example, App Admin was converted to HTML5 and no longer depends on Flash.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I had not heard of Harman before you mentioned it. It sounds interesting, but I have not heard of anyone that has attempted to use it myself and it is not something our organization has tested to my knowledge. I am also not sure of the costs of that solution.

SBM 11.4.2 is a good choice if you are currently limited from moving to more recent operating systems or databases. It will at least resolve your Flash dependency. It is also the last version which supported the legacy User Workspace interface. Work Center is the more modern interface (in terms of technology and function) and has been part of the product for many years now (including the release your are using). Committed support for 11.4.2 ends in May of 2021. https://www.microfocus.com/productlifecycle/?term=SBM 

However, there are many reasons to consider moving SBM 11.8 as well. They include all of the many product improvements, the latest in platform support, as well as keeping up with other technology changes similar to Flash deprecation (such as support for the various Microsoft Office 365 changes announced recently, and updates to underlying technologies like jQuery etc).

I have some customers considering developing a process app to manage users, groups and a few other admin functions to provide support in that period between the loss of Flash and performing their upgrades. If this is something you are interested in and would like assistance for, let me know and we can talk about how our Professional Services team may be able to assist.

Captain
Captain

I just migrated to 11.4.2 due to the same concern with flash. I needed to minimize user interface changes and my users are trained on work center. The only item I have found in 11.4.2 that still uses flash is the "Use Editable Grid" for list reports. We are not dependent on this feature so we moved forward with the migration. I was previously on 10.1.5.4. 

Good Luck!

Commander
Commander

Looking into these recommendations

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

Thank you for sharing. We are looking into these recommendations.

-Udaya

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The "Use Editable Grid" in the old SBM Classic does require Flash.  There is a hotfix 5 for that issue.  Editable Grid in the Work Center interface does not require Flash.

-David

Commander
Commander

where to look at what windows versions SBM 11.4.2 supports ?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

You can find the supported platform matrix on the support website: https://supportline.microfocus.com > Downloads > SBM > 11.4.2.

Commander
Commander

I do not have support line user id and password. I have only community access

Please help

0 Likes
Commander
Commander

It is asking for support line userid and password. I do not have support line user id and password. I have only community access
Please help.

Appreciate That.

Udaya

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Without support access, you can get to the platform matrix for 11.4.2 here:

http://nadownloads.microfocus.com/websync/Internap_Download.aspx?FilePath=/serena/platformmatrix/sbm/sbm_11.4.2.xlsx

But, remember you will need support access to download the new version.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.