Highlighted
forumadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

webservice: first response time ˜45s

Question posted 10/30/09 by gary fong
Details:

Whenever SBM (at least the webservices processing logic) has been idle for a bit, when I send a webservice request, it takes about ˜45 for the response to occur. It's odd. When I ask for the app version, it's fast. When I query an item. It's slow. Thereafter, activity is fast and snappy. It's just that first time request that's taking an inordinately long time.
Why is this?
What's the workaround for this?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: webservice: first response time ˜45s

Comment posted 10/30/09 by Olivier Salmon

Hi Gary,
Could you please try the following:
1- Go to your IIS manager and check the application pool for your gsoap virtual directory (should be something like gsoap_pool)
2- Edit the properties of the Application pool found in #1 and go to the Performance tab
3- Untick the first checkbox 'Shutdown worker process ...'
Please let us know if it solves your issue.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Comment posted 10/30/09 by gary fong

Olivier
Thanks for replying.
The config change was made. It is better. The first response time when down by half. I only had to wait ˜20s instead of ˜45s.
Is ˜20s normal? Also, will I incur this wait only once while the server remains up? Or, is there a cleanup-at-idle process that'll result in another ˜20s wait after some period of time? If so, what is that period of time.
I don't mind the ˜20s wait if it only happens once. But if it happens after a 10min idle period, I'd like to find a way to reduce the time down to only a few secs.
I'm going to try another request in 15-20mins and see how long it takes. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Gary,
My understanding is that the webservices run under the gsoap virtual directory and IIS shutdown the process (idle) after x minutes when specified in the application pool. So, the process shouldn't go in idle, and your response time should be around 20 seconds all the time.
I'm not sure how you are querying the webservices.
I just run quickly some tests using soapUI from a client against the server and the response time was:
GetVersion: 55ms
GetItem: 921ms (one item only)
GetTables: 69ms (all)
So, maybe the 20 seconds response time isn't normal !

0 Likes
Absent Member.

and GetItemsByQuery: 74ms (query: UBG_ISSUES.TS_TITLE LIKE ('%Image Builder%')

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Comment posted 10/30/09 by gary fong

OK. After wait >15mins, I tried another request (GetItemsByQuery) and this time it only took ˜250 *milliseconds*, not ˜20 *seconds*!
Olivier, thank you.
Maybe the IIS server need the ˜20s for the first time request for the life of the app server. Subsequent requests will be nearly instantaneous until IIS is bounced. Perfect!
Thanks again Olivier!
Gary

0 Likes
Absent Member.

You're welcome.
I'm always happy to help when I can.
If you are into web services, you can check the articles I wrote on my blog.
On the right hand side, you can search by tag ; there is one called WebServices.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.