Condition Editor in SMAX business rules

Condition Editor in SMAX business rules

We need to provide an easy, friendly way to add condition(s) in SMAX.  Would be nice to have it similar to what SM has with its Condition Editor.

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @KaseyK1 -  Can you provide some examples to help refine this suggestion? Many of the voters here aren't familiar with how or what is done in Service Manager. 

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Here's a more detailed explanation of what I'm looking for:

When I tried to edit/add a condition expression in SMAX, here’s what I need to fill out:

SMAX Condition.png

Which means I need to know the syntax.  Clicking the ? button at the top right helps since it provides me with the syntax:

SMAX Help Syntax.png

But wouldn’t it be nice to just click on a function and field without having to actually “write” that expression?  To be truly (almost) codeless?

Here’s what it looks like in Service Manager when I need to add a condition expression to a business rule:

SM Edit.png

When I click on the Edit button to add in the condition, I get:

SM Editor.png

Where I select from the drop-down lists:

SM Editor Record.png

Say I select the CurrentRecord (equivalent to the entity concept in SMAX), I am prompted for the list of fields from that table I’m using the condition on:

SM Editor Fields.png

And if I select a linked field, I can also select from that list:

SM Editor Linked.png

And you keep going, but still always provided with a user (codeless) way:

SM Editor Operator.png

SM Editor Value.png

SM Editor Text.png

Once I’m done editing the condition expression, the system does present it in a nice, read-able format.  But if I need to modify the condition again, I just click on the Edit button to get back into the Condition Editor wizard.

SM Expression.png

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Thanks Kasey for providing destails of the SM solution, that's helpful. Also, while this is a general purpose editor, are they specific use cases/requirements you can provide as well? (i.e., what rules you were trying to write with SMAX, that made you think about the SM solution) The usefulness of a general editor is intuitive I think, but perhaps some of the cases are common enough to be OOTB??

The idea is open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team.

@KaseyK1

Hi Tonya - this applies to all conditions (simple or complex) that you need to build out using SMAX (the "if...then" condition).  It can be a simple "if/then" expression such as only make the justification field in a change record mandatory if the risk is high.  It can also be a complicated condition such as make the justification field in a change record mandatory if the risk is high and if the location is AMS, only need if the city is Las Vegas or New Year City or the impact is high or critical, but only if the location is not AMS. 

After configuring an Execute REST business rule, there definitely need to be practical adjustments made to make this truly useful.

1) The space provided in the expression editor is not at all adequate for composing the bodies of REST calls. These bodies of JSON could easily be 100 lines long, depending on the system you are integrating with.

2) Composing JSON with a mixture of Expression Language and Static strings is very confusing and not easily done. Being able to use expression language directly within strings would make it infinitely more useful and natural to the end user. For example, the text should be something like this:

"attribute1" : ${entity.StaffMember_c.Name}
}

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.