Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE

Detailed logging and reporting of user access activity

Detailed logging and reporting of user access activity

Briefly describe your idea
Provide more detailed logging and reporting of user activity.  This would include username, number of times logged in, length of time, and areas accessed.

Why is this important, when it would it be used
To understand which users are actually spending any time in the application (self-service or admin).  This helps to properly allocate licenses.

If you were designing the solution, how would  you do it?
By time period

8 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Thank you for sharing your idea! Let’s hear what the community has to say. Once there is enough community traction, it will be reviewed by the product team.

FabioPerego11 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I received the same request from one customer, purpose as already said is license allocation. Below part of the original request tracked for SAW:

"Each report's row should shows: user details (like login name, last/first name, status), login details (like date/time) and the license type configured on SAW (People --> System use Definition --> License) for the user (Concurrent / Authorized / None for Self-ticketing). This report should be on-demand/real-time and contain only the users of the TENANT you are using."

FabioPerego11 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I forgot: last login date/time

Trusted Contributor.. glg_tpj Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

for MSP's, it will enable us to determine which customers are fully utilizing their allocated licenses.  And guide customers to fully utilize their entitlements.

tmognes Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

This is needed for license administration for me as well. Management doesn't by more licenses just because one employee says he couldn’t log in one morning. They need more information, like a report of user access activity. It’s important that it’s easy to verify and show peak usage of concurrent licenses. When and how often are they at the maximum usage of concurrent licenses.
Another customer of ours, needed such a report for security reasons. They needed the ability to go back and see which users that where logged in at any given time.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Thanks for all the votes and comments. We are looking into this as a future product enhancement. Check the notifications box to be emailed if the status changes.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I see the benefit of this idea.

However, we should also consider that gathering personal information is in many countries regulated by law requirements. If we allow logging such information, we need to enable customers as well to use our product without violating local law.

As example let's to look at the German situation (I'm not a lawyer - so experts may want to correct this):

Before collecting personal information, you need to clearly define the purpose for the collection, define when the data has to be destroyed and ensure after collection not to break out of these limitations formulated. There are laws that tell you about the limitations to keep data collections. There are approvals by working council required for some kind of data collection - i.e. gathering data about when an employee arrived or leave the company - respective when an help desk agent logs in in the morning and out in the evening.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for the comments @AFranke. That will be an important consideration for the design (may need to provide options ) and best practice guidance for using. 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.