Does SMAX support external DB like SQL or Oracle

Idea ID 2746953

Does SMAX support external DB like SQL or Oracle

Dear All,

We are planning for an upgrade from our current version of MF SM9.x to SMAX and would like to go for a complete container based approach (not mixed mode).

I would like to know, will the complete docker and container installation support the external database like Oracle or SQL instead of native PostgreSQL.

9 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Delvin,

Welcome to the Community Container Deployment Fondation (CDF) forum.

To answer your question, it all depends on what part of SMAX you are referencing.

The answer to your question is found within the Installation section of the SMAX product documentation.

MS SQL is not supported.

Oracle is supported but not for all parts.

If you go to the 'Databases' section of the following URL for the 2019.11 section of the SMAX Installation documentation for On-Premise installations, you will see the following:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/SMAX:2019.11/SupportMatrixOnPrem

CDF:  PostgresSQL 10.x, 9.6.x, 9.5.x (9.5.13 or later) for Linux, Oracle 12c
SMA (IdM, Suite Administration, Service Management and Smart Analytics, Autopass): PostgreSQL 10.x, 9.6.x, 9.5.x (9.5.13 or later) for Linux
CMS:  Oracle 12c, or PostgreSQL 10.x, 9.6.x, 9.5.x (9.5.13 or later) for Linux

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Mark

Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Mark for the quick response.

I went through the support matrix yesterday. Could you please help me to understand the difference between the CDF and SMA installations.

We already have uCMDB 10.3 running as a separate instance integrated with SM, so I don't think CMS would not be required, we can continue with the current uCMDB.

Regards,

Delvin

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Delvin,

It looks like this discussion has been moved from one forum to another.

In either case, CDF is the ITOM CDF (Container Deployment Foundation).  This the base platform that all of the ITOM Suites sit on top of, etc.   It is installed before the actual SMAX software suite is installed.

As for the SMA, I believe that this is the SMAX software.  I am not a SMA/SMAX support engineer so I will let someone else provide specifics/confirmation.

Good luck with your efforts.

Regards,

Mark

Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Mark for the quick response.

I will wait for someone who can help me with the CDF and SMA functionalities.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Delvin,

I've answered your question about CDF.  It is SMA that I cannot confirm since I do not support it specifically.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

The supported database for SMAX is PostgreSQL.

Best regards,

Brindusa

Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.
Thank you Brindusa.
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.
Thank You Mark for the swift response. I have contacted the MF Sales team
for more information.
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Status changed to: Declined

This appears to be a question, so not appropriate for the Idea Exchange.  And to answer the question, SMAX only supports Postgres.  Expanding DB support is not currently aligned with our direction.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.