Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

HTTP 500 Internal Server error with SMAX 2020.02 API on Azure (BYOK) from Connect-It

• Trying to connect to SMAX API on Azure (BYOK) from Connect-It
  • Error Login Failed HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
  • Using integration user with correct credentials
  • SMAX is working, no errors
  • Connect-It is in on-premises network, SMAX is on Azure (BYOK)
  • Using port 443, no firewall issues as far as I can tell
  • Attached error message screenshot

Would anyone have advice on where I should look for further troubleshooting?smax_error.png

0 Likes
39 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HTTP 500 Internal Server error with SMAX 2020.02 API on Azure (BYOK) from Connect-It

I dont have the integration document with me but as I recall.

• did you imported the smax cert in CIT machine and configured into connector? otherwise SMAX will not recognize as legit connector.
  • Are you calling the  correct API  ( there are number of them) see the built in SAW or SMIS  scenarios.
  • Have you tried from the local CIT box connecting and getting the token or WSDL/WADL thru a browser or a rest api tool?(postman or SOAP UI or etc).

Further you can check the CIT client log for details.(not sure more info will be there). There are some smax logs that you can check for authentication issues(unfortunately I dont have the documentation)

Hope it helps a bit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HTTP 500 Internal Server error with SMAX 2020.02 API on Azure (BYOK) from Connect-It

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you for your reply.

I did do the import of the cert into the keystore as per the connector config instructions https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/SMAX:2020.02/IntegrateCIT

I'm just trying to open the connector (login), not even calling a particular API method yet.

I also tried to use postman to post using login and password to:

https://<name>.cloudapp.azure.com/auth/authentication-endpoint/authenticate/login

after finding reference to that troubleshooting method elsewhere. Now, they mention the master node for that URL, but in Azure, it is BYOK, and you don't access the master node directly as in other install types, so this is the 1 URL for the front end.

Same error from postman, just http 500 internal server error (nginx) with no other info.

I also checked connect-it log and no futher information than what is shown in the screenshot.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I think you have to use the EXTERNAL HOST    FQDN   for that to access.

Also when testing provided your integration user has proper access setup following call should work from a browser call.

https://<EXTERNAL  HOST>auth/authentication-endpoint/authenticate/login?login=<user>&password=<password>

(user needs to be integration user and may need a higher role OPB ...)

You may be using the following reference I guess.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/SMAX:2020.05/PN/cg_opb_troubleshooting

Should validate your user has access yo smax anyways.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thank you, I'm going to read those docs and if I find an answer I'll write back.

I've tried giving opb role, also even tenant admin role for testing.

I'll try switching to normal user instead of integration user to see if the account works for regular login to smax. 

My other guess was maybe it is one of those situations where special characters in the password cause a problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

yeah the special characters have broken my OPB  integrations twice so be careful on that. Testing as normal user will be best to eliminate that issue

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I was able to confirm login works with the direct auth URL and get a token, to confirm that works.

It seems that I had to uncheck the "compress requests" and "accept compressed" options in configuring the connector in order to not get the 500 error.

However, now I get a different error (attached) - no object.

I'm not actually using an OPB at this point, as I didn't think it was necessary to go from Connect-It directly to SMAX external FQDN rest api.

Perhaps I am wrong in this, that I still have to set up OPB and create endpoints even for connecting from Connect-It to SMAX rest api?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

OPB has nothing to do with calling the SMAX REST APIs, neither directly, nor through CIT.

Do you have the payload CIT sends to SMAX to check if the syntax is correct.

Best regards,
Brindusa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Unfortunately Connect-It doesn't appear to log the payload it is sending when it tries to open the MaaS connector, only:

2020/06/26 12:47:55.151	0	4	Opening connector 'SMAX (https://<exfqdnprefix>.cloudapp.azure.com:443?TENANTID=54054197)'...
2020/06/26 12:47:56.105	1	1	(0) 
2020/06/26 12:47:56.111	1	1	(0) No content to map to Object due to end of input
2020/06/26 12:47:56.116	1	4	Handle these data types 'ENTITY_LINK', 'COMPLEX_TYPE' as string type.
2020/06/26 12:47:56.121	1	4	Loading document type extension file 'E:\\Connect-It\\config\\shared\\default.cfg'...
2020/06/26 12:47:56.128	0	4	Checking coherency of connector document types...
2020/06/26 12:47:56.131	1	4	The 'SMAX (https://<exfqdnprefix>.cloudapp.azure.com:443?TENANTID=54054197)' connector has been opened.

Unless there is a way to figure out the payload Connect-It is sending of which I'm not aware?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

As far as I know, it is possible to enable CIT logging, but I'm not a CIT expert.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I noticed that if I do a simple login post request by using postman, to the same URL as Connect-It, I receive html as a response, mentioning enabling javascript, looks like a home page of sorts.

I would have expected an api response.

smax_postman.png

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.