Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

How do I restart the SMAX 2020.02.002 patch apply update process?

Jump to solution

SMAX 2020.02 on Azure with AKS (BYOK) and Azure Files. 

Attempted to apply update 2020.02.002 patch update through the CDF management portal.

Successfully used image transfer python script on bastion to upload all the new images to the container registry.

Successfully uploaded the new metadata in CDF management portal.

While applying the update in CDF management portal, I was kicked out of my RDP session with our server because our infrastructure host has very aggressive idle timeout session disconnects that they refuse to change.

When I log back in, CDF portal shows that 2020.02 is still in use, 2020.02.002 is not in use, but when I try to apply update again, I just get a generic pop-up "error contact system administrator". I also cannot rollback, error on that.

I can still log in and use SMAX, though.

I can't find any log or documentation about how to restart applying the update. I don't think I should need to restore anything from back-up because SMAX is still functional.

Is there a way to apply the update from the command line in a server node, or does anyone know where I could find logs to detail what this error is?

Edit:

The actual error behind the CDF management portal "apply update" phase "system error" pop-up I found through Chrome developer tools as:

HTTP error code 500
data: null
method: POST
http://{cdf_mgmt_portal}:5443/urest/v1.1/deployment/13ea3fb9-4d52-4d27-8652-38832348c05e/images:upgrade

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: How do I restart the SMAX 2020.02.002 patch apply update process?

Jump to solution

I finally was able to figure out how to force the patch to run again:

1. Installed the postman chrome extension to manually send post requests via chrome
  2. Use chrome developer tools on the "apply update" page of the CDF management portal where the error ocurred, to view the request that was being sent that returned the error
  3. Re-created the request in postman by copying and pasting the request headers and payload (body/content), and changing the payload:

POST /suiteInstaller/urest/v1.1/deployment/13ea3fb9-4d52-4d27-8652-38832348c05e/images:upgrade HTTP/1.1
    Host: {cdf_mgmt_url}:5443
    X-AUTH-TOKEN: {x-auth-token from the request}
    X-CSRF-TOKEN: {x-csrf-token from the request}
    Content-Type: application/json
    Accept: */*
    X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
    Cache-Control: no-cache

{"targetVersion":"2020.02.001"}

4. This forced an attempt to apply the previous patch 2020.02.001 (trying this through the main CDF GUI would return "2020.02.002" is in the process of being applied, cannot run, but doing it this way worked.
  5. Do another post request with the payload changed to 002, which forced patch 002 to start deploying again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: How do I restart the SMAX 2020.02.002 patch apply update process?

Jump to solution

I finally was able to figure out how to force the patch to run again:

1. Installed the postman chrome extension to manually send post requests via chrome
  2. Use chrome developer tools on the "apply update" page of the CDF management portal where the error ocurred, to view the request that was being sent that returned the error
  3. Re-created the request in postman by copying and pasting the request headers and payload (body/content), and changing the payload:

POST /suiteInstaller/urest/v1.1/deployment/13ea3fb9-4d52-4d27-8652-38832348c05e/images:upgrade HTTP/1.1
    Host: {cdf_mgmt_url}:5443
    X-AUTH-TOKEN: {x-auth-token from the request}
    X-CSRF-TOKEN: {x-csrf-token from the request}
    Content-Type: application/json
    Accept: */*
    X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
    Cache-Control: no-cache

{"targetVersion":"2020.02.001"}

4. This forced an attempt to apply the previous patch 2020.02.001 (trying this through the main CDF GUI would return "2020.02.002" is in the process of being applied, cannot run, but doing it this way worked.
  5. Do another post request with the payload changed to 002, which forced patch 002 to start deploying again.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.