Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. brav0 Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Pros and Cons of SMAX

Hello Experts,

I work mainly on Service Manager application  and am looking to get some understand on SMA-x . Alof of you have by this time understood the pros and cons of SMA-X .  I have a few questions and would really appreciate if you guys contribute your thoughts to help me / other get better insight into the tool.

1.  How different is sMA-x from previous cloud based Service Anywhere ?

2. Can we have an on-premise setup of SMA-X or on can it be setup on customer preferred Cloud service offering ?

3. Limitiations of SMA-x ?. I am aware that previous Service Anywhere were having limitiations related to customizability of applications. Does this prevail on SMA-x or can we customize the heck out of it  like SMA-SM  ?

4. How easy the suite of SMA-X can be setup for a customer ?

5. Is it possible to setup a sandbox for SMA-X , just like we have it for Service Manager with an instance on license (trial for 30 or 60 days )

Thank you in advance.

dev.

I am Listening..
2 Replies
Trusted Contributor.. Svilen Ivanov Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Pros and Cons of SMAX

Hi,

I am new to SMA-X as well but I hope my comment helps you.

About the Limitations please check https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Service_Management_Automation_-_X:2018.08/1700_Admin/plfrmFieldsProperties and the section Logical Type Details. For example the limitation for 40 fields of type SMALL_TEXT, MEDIUM_TEXT, EMAIL, and URL combined may prove challenging, depending on the client.

In addition there are a lot of stuff that once created cannot be deleted like Categories, Services and Offerings. The logic is that once created there might be records using them and may break the data model, however I find it annoying that there is no check on the background whether or not an Offering is being used or not. The same goes for certain types of fields and so on.

BR,

Svilen

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Pros and Cons of SMAX

I've provided some answers below, but suggest that you review some of the SMAX enablement that is available on SABA/Aspire. The design principles of Codeless and Deployment Flexibiliy are central to representing the solution to customers. Be careful how you compare to Service Manager - think about the use case the customer is trying to accomplish, not the feature/function. By design, SMAX does many things differently and it's NOT a gap. 

1.  How different is sMA-x from previous cloud based Service Anywhere ?

Functionally SMAX (not SMA-x) is very similar to Service Anywhere - there were several key enhancements made in the first release of SMAX (e.g., configurable limits on EMS queries) and many enhancements added since (e.g., Studo). Review the release notes for a quick compare.

2. Can we have an on-premise setup of SMA-X or on can it be setup on customer preferred Cloud service offering ?

Yes! Deployment Flexibility is one of the key differentiators of SMAX. It's available on prem, private or public cloud (Azure, AWS and more to come). Also business conditions change customers may more from one to the other (e.g., move all to the cloud).

3. Limitiations of SMA-x ?. I am aware that previous Service Anywhere were having limitiations related to customizability of applications. Does this prevail on SMA-x or can we customize the heck out of it  like SMA-SM  ?

This is a key design principle for anyone working with SMAX - SMAX is codeless. We don't customize! There is extensive configurability, and a new capability for codeless, user-defined applications.

4. How easy the suite of SMA-X can be setup for a customer ?

See enablement on ITOM Platform and CDF and related training classes. 

5. Is it possible to setup a sandbox for SMA-X , just like we have it for Service Manager with an instance on license (trial for 30 or 60 days )

Yes. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.