We need a rollback method to go back to a stable SMG update version

Idea ID 2783796

We need a rollback method to go back to a stable SMG update version

I have updated from builds in the past that has caused problems that were there from a previous build. I want to be able to roll back to the stable version update. IE 550 from 574.
5 Comments
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
This should (for example) be possible with the upcoming SMG appliance based on SLES 12 leveraging BTRFS.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
What about VM snapshots?
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
Always snapshot before update/upgrade, but I think the idea here is that you might loose quarantined mails going back to an older snap while a rollback method could help in downgrading (unless the DB schema is extended etc). Might be needed to create multiple smaller parts which you can update independant, but then on the radar is plitting into docker/services/.. anyway so I feel this could be looked at that point.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
No, I am not really interested in adding more cost to provide a rollback method buy adding in a cloud service.
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
Not talking about more costs. Cloud is a stretch anyway, which can be on premise too (your own DC), I was not referring to a hosted service to solve this:) Docker virtializes the service on top of an OS making roll forward and back easier and is part of SLES or any other modern Linux distro, so you could even choose your preferred one. GroupWise WebAccess which is not in tech preview leverages Docker too.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.