decode subject to scan text filters

Idea ID 2827262

decode subject to scan text filters

Due to covid we are getting inundated with spam for thermometers.  So I made a quick subject filter that looked for "thermometer" and blocked it.  Really cut down on the garbage.  But then I noticed some were still getting through.  I took a look at the message source for the email and the spammers are encoding the subject line.  Please decode subject lines so text filters work correctly!  And if there are any other areas where some type of encoding could prevent a filter from working, please decode that also!  We really need to cut down on the garbage that gets through!

Tags (1)
1 Comment
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I found a workaround for now...not the best solution, but it does help.

Create a separate text filter (I called mine "Encoded Subjects" so I could easily see it in the QMS and Message Tracker).  Select "Look in message header" and add the criteria

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?

This will block encoded subjects that use the UTF-8 character set.  What we found was that the people we do business with are not going to encode subjects.  It is typically spammers trying to get past filters or social media sites trying to get cute with subject line emojis.

The day after setting up the filter, I checked the QMS (it is easy to filter on the rule) and reviewed the blocked emails.  All were spam except for one business related social media site.  It was easy enough to make an email address exception to attach to my rule to allow that one social media site through.

Hope this helps others, but please vote for this idea so we can get this capability added to SMG!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.