ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Avoiding quarantine loops

Jump to solution

A customer asked me to solve this:

He is using an outbound policy. This policy will block and quarantine some fingerprint attachments. Well, helpdesk staff is allowed to release those entries.
SMG will relay via GWIA. Then GWIA will relay via SMG as always and this mail will be stopped again.

My idea was to tag this mail or to add a header line. When this mail will be released and pass again my policy, then I will use an exception rule to let it pass.

However it does not work because no tag or header line will be added to this entry. My exception rule will never get a hit ...

Any other ideas?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner

It's much easier than thought. However it took some while until support found it out (I had open a SR for the same issue which has not be solved so far).

Just use these settings for your relay module!

SMG relay.JPG

It is really that easy! Be sure that your SMG can resolve DNS requests.

Diethmar Rimser

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner

@Rimser 

I haven't checked this after reading your post so you may want to verify...

I'm not aware of anything in documentation that says an item that is quarantined will not be modified in any way before it is quarantined. Everything I remember reading suggests that if a specific filter evaluates as true the connected services will be activated. I would treat this as a program defect and open a case...

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

I did it already, Kevin.

If there are any news, I will add it to this thread.

I even tried to link my "Add Header Line" to my "Message sent" filter which is serviced by "Message Track" & "Statistics" (default). My blocked message will be tracked, but there is no added information.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

It's much easier than thought. However it took some while until support found it out (I had open a SR for the same issue which has not be solved so far).

Just use these settings for your relay module!

SMG relay.JPG

It is really that easy! Be sure that your SMG can resolve DNS requests.

Diethmar Rimser

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7025025

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

@Rimser wrote:

A customer asked me to solve this:

1. He is using an outbound policy.
  2. This policy will block and quarantine some fingerprint attachments.
  3. Well, helpdesk staff is allowed to release those entries. 
  4. SMG will relay via GWIA. 
  5. Then GWIA will relay via SMG as always and this mail will be stopped again.

Your issue is pretty specific and well understood. For me, the solution is not

It took support two weeks to find this and they have access to the developer. I have read both the documentation and the TID and I still don't understand why this works.

TID 7025025 Problems with releasing messages from a quarantine states:

When releasing emails from a quarantine, you must first define a new entry in Module Management -> Mail Relay Module Manager. Here create some new entry and what needs to be defined/enabled are two options in a Delivery targets:

- Defined domains
- MX Targets

The first option serves for your own defined domains, example when you have configured email notifications that will be sent back to an internal sender or to an internal recipient informing him that his email was captured by some policy filter.

The second option, MX targets relies on DNS information about a target (recipient) Internet domain.

The SMG Administrator and User Guide section 5.9: Mail Relay Module Manager states: 

Delivery targets

Defined domains: Domains defined in Secure Messaging Gateway will have mail routed to their SMTP server. Default disabled.

Relay targets: The relay targets defined in SMTP Relay Target List below. Default enabled.

MX targets: Lookup the MX for the domain and use that. Default disabled.

So, why does this work?

• How does checking Defined domains affect the message flow?
  • If checking MX targets is required to notify external senders/recipients, does that mean that scan filter notifications won't work unless this is setup?
_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.