Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Ideas about dealing with frequent Office 365 hacked accounts

No, I don't use Office 365, I use GroupWise with SMG.  The problem is that we regularly get emails with "click this link" messages from companies that we work with who do use Office 365 and get their accounts broken into because they do not have proper protection in place.  Fortunately my users have become fairly skeptical about emails (phishing training is critical!) and they either delete these or forward them to me.

But I just thought I would see if anyone had figured out a way to block these.  Trying to be a bit pro-active here.

I would love to just tell these companies that if they won't protect their own accounts I will just block their domain.  But that may be a bit too drastic since we have to work with them.

Thoughts anyone?

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements in the Idea Exchange forums within this community!
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Ideas about dealing with frequent Office 365 hacked accounts

Hi Ken,

No, I do not have a real medicine for this problem.

But just yesterday I had a similar case: this customer is a university; one member of the helpdesk team called my that one of their users mentioned an obvious phishing mail ("click this link"). So I checked the original smtp file to find out what to block. Afterwards I adjusted SMG to block this kind of mail.

So in this case it was a sensitive user who helped but I was not really pro-active because I had to react. Of course it is hard, no almost impossible to block these mails because the originators are too creative. So we need smart users who help us - in your case because you trained your users.

(in my case yesterday the originator used an internal sender address - **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** which makes life even harder).

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.