Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

SMG - Appliance management frontend (vabase-jetty) not running

Jump to solution

Hello,

yesterday I installed a new SMG SuSE based appliance, version 7.0.0.61. I installed it twice, if I make a failure in installation. And see the same error, the management interface was not started. There is no service available in tcp port 9443. 

I try to manual start the service and see this status information:

# systemctl status vabase-jetty
● vabase-jetty.service - Jetty Web Application Server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/vabase-jetty.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2020-06-17 17:04:57 CEST; 7s ago
Process: 2402 ExecStart=/opt/novell/jetty9/bin/jetty.sh start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 2456 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: Starting Jetty Web Application Server...
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 jetty.sh[2402]: touch: cannot touch '/root/.curlrc': Permission denied
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 jetty.sh[2402]: touch: cannot touch '/root/.curlrc': Permission denied
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 jetty.sh[2402]: Starting Jetty: ok Wed Jun 17 17:04:57 CEST 2020
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: Started Jetty Web Application Server.
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'

Then I checked the system log and found this entry:

jetty.sh[2402]: Error: Could not find or load main class 127.0.0.1"

The whole log entries are:

Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: Starting Jetty Web Application Server...
-- Subject: Unit vabase-jetty.service has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit vabase-jetty.service has begun starting up.
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 jetty.sh[2402]: Starting Jetty: ok Wed Jun 17 17:04:57 CEST 2020
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: Started Jetty Web Application Server.
-- Subject: Unit vabase-jetty.service has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- Unit vabase-jetty.service has finished starting up.
--
-- The start-up result is done.
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 jetty.sh[2402]: Error: Could not find or load main class 127.0.0.1"
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 17 17:04:57 XXX-smg01 systemd[1]: vabase-jetty.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Is there an idea was the problem is? 

Regards,

Michael

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Just in case you run into such a situation, you might try:

1. The VA webinterface gets started by vabase-jetty.service.

2. This is just calling the jetty.sh script from /opt/novell/jetty9/bin directory. See if you can start / stop it manually:

./jetty.sh start/stop/status

3. If that works but you are unable to use "systemctl start vabase-jetty.service", then:

a) Go into /usr/lib/systemd/system directory.
b) Edit vabase-jetty.service file by vi editor and disable user and group lines. This script tries to use "vabase-jetty" as a user and a group that does not work with root:root file ownership of the /opt/novell/jetty9.
c) Since you edited this system file, you will need to run first "systemctl daemon-reload".
d) Now try "systemctl start vabase-jetty.service" and see if it was loaded by "systemctl status vabase-jetty.service".

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Michael,

did you check if the database in the background is running?

Did you change any disc sizes?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.
Hello,
no disc resize and yes all other services are running.

Regards,
Michae
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hallo Micha, 

I had the same problem with my filr a few months ago after enabling my Proxy with YaST. After disabling and restarting the service it worked again. Maybe it is also the solution for you. 

Greetings 

David

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Just in case you run into such a situation, you might try:

1. The VA webinterface gets started by vabase-jetty.service.

2. This is just calling the jetty.sh script from /opt/novell/jetty9/bin directory. See if you can start / stop it manually:

./jetty.sh start/stop/status

3. If that works but you are unable to use "systemctl start vabase-jetty.service", then:

a) Go into /usr/lib/systemd/system directory.
b) Edit vabase-jetty.service file by vi editor and disable user and group lines. This script tries to use "vabase-jetty" as a user and a group that does not work with root:root file ownership of the /opt/novell/jetty9.
c) Since you edited this system file, you will need to run first "systemctl daemon-reload".
d) Now try "systemctl start vabase-jetty.service" and see if it was loaded by "systemctl status vabase-jetty.service".

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.
Hello Peter,
this hack works on the appliance. 😉
The problem are possible updates that will overwrite the start file for vabase-jetty service. So I create a copy inside /etc/systemd/system as specific user conf file.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.
Hello David,

yes, the proxy could be the problem, but here I need the proxy settings. Without no proxy, no internet access.

regards,
Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.