Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

SMG administration - Client denied by server configuration

Feb2020 OVA deployed, platform config on 9443 works. Clicking the link to SMG user interface results in 403. Apache error log shows: 

[Thu Mar 12 13:06:03.217450 2020] [authz_core:error] [pid 2759] [client x.x.x.x:54575] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /vastorage/smg/smg-supervisor, referer: https://x.x.x.x/   (SMG base address)

[Thu Mar 12 13:06:03.328523 2020] [authz_core:error] [pid 2759] [client x.x.x.x:54575] AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /vastorage/smg/smg-supervisor

I did configuration items before attempting to launch the SMG console.

1) After OVA deployment, before power up, I added a 2nd volume for data storage. We keep 90 days of messages in QMS. The install seemed to handle this without issue. 

2) Once in the administration console, I added an internal PKI issued cert and intermediate and restarted the server. The Admin console seems to be ok with the cert. 

3) Checked for updates and registered. 

Anyone see this? 

0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

same here 😞

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you check system services in your vaadmin, all services (except ssh) are up and running?

Diethmar Rimser
This community is more powerful if you use Likes and Solutions
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Diethmar,

the smg service is not running. The smg log file is empty, but in /var/log/messages you can read:

smg.service: Failed at step EXEC spwning /var/storage/smg/assets/bin/linux/scripts/smg: No file or directory.

smg.service Control process exited, code=exited status=203

Failed to start Micro Focus Messaging Gateway

Also I cannot get the first start wizzard in the appliance console (as you can see in the documentation)

Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I hope this is a typo: /var/storage/smg/assets/bin/linux/scripts/smg because it should be /vastorage/smg/assets/bin/linux/scripts/smg.

I have installed SMG on sles several times for different reasons and purposes and migrated several times ...  I have experienced that my second disc has not been recognized or used sometimes. I did not find out why this happened because the next trial was working fine although using the same settings. There was even no difference if I used my VM workstation or an ESX server

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

yes it should be /vastorage/ instead of /var/storage.
Anyway there are only a few empty directories below vastorage. Therefor the error in the message log is right.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

That is what I found too. Never figured it out, its still broken. I ended up shifting to COVID response items. 

Probably should start a ticket, as this is confirmation that version of the ISO is badly broken.... which ironically enough the last time I attempted to get SMG up and running I also found major issues in the installer that required a ticket just to get to the point of it being installed. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I had opened a ticket in February - without a useful result.

However one of my experiences was that if you change the size of your first disc, your SMG installation will fail. The default value is 16 GB (if I remember in the right way), the documentation at that time recommended 60 GB. 

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I definitely did make changes to the disk sizes. 

1) The docs recommend it

2) My user requirements are such that the default disk sizes cannot possibly work, they must be increased. 

Resize afterwards with a 3rd party tool perhaps? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Why do you need a larger /?
Your data will be stored on /vastorage which can be large enough. And then there is an option to use a third disk which can be used for /var
Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Diethmar

I used the default settings. 60 GB was the default for / and I used 60 GB for the second drive. Both drives are mounted.

When you deploy the ova there are only a few settings (password, time, network). There are not many ways where you can leave the default path. I cannot understand why it can fail 🙄

Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@chrischu 

I do not have a satisfying answer ...

Repeating my installation suddenly it worked. So put some pressure on this product and open a SR!

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.