Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

White listed messages not being released from SMG - how best to wildcard?

I have recently had some odd reactions with a particular sender.  Their messages keep showing up in SMG, and I have successfully added them to White List and Released some messages, but other messages fail to be released.

Here are samples of the White List items I created with the available button, sanitized as needed fro the customer's name and domain.  Notice that the sender's email address seems to have some random elements in it.  As an FYI, there are no characters used after the equals sign (=) other than period (.) and at (@), so these samples are true to the original character set being encountered.

• prvs=31277e5be8=users.name@customerdomain.com
  • prvs=3128c7dbb4=users.name@customerdomain.com

I tried to account for future incoming messages by adding this White List rule, with an attempt at a wild card (*), but it did not automatically permit their most recent incoming message.

• *users.name@customerdomain.com

I am unsure if I should post this here, as this deals with Micro Focus' internal use of SMG.  Unfortunately the SMG UI does not offer a link to internal support on this.

-- Habeas Data
Micro Focus Fortify Customers-Only Forums – https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Fortify/ct-p/fortify
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: White listed messages not being released from SMG - how best to wildcard?

I can offer some thoughts, but I imagine you will have to go to internal support for a definitive answer.

I assume you are adding your wildcard entry from within the quarantine system.  I just tried that on my system and it successfully added it.  I have used wildcards like your sample without problem before.  My assumption is that the emails that are getting caught are hitting filters that are not connected to the QMS User White List.  On my system, I have the QMS User White List connected to specific filters, but not all of them for safety reasons.  For an extreme example, I don't want a user to white list an email that would hit the virus filter.  A better example would be I have a rule that triggers on confirmed spam and another that triggers on bulk mail.  The bulk mail usually is spam but occasionally is not.  So the QMS User White List lets my users whitelist bulk mail.  But they cannot white list confirmed spam.  I would suggest that this is the cause since I see no reason why your wild card rule would not work.  Unfortunately, these types of settings are unique to each installation, so you would need to talk to your internal support team to see how they have SMG configured.

--
Ken
Knowledge Partner

Create and vote for enhancements!
https://www.microfocus.com/products/enhancement-request.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.