Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem applying SSPR 4.4 Patch 2

I tried to apply this update to my test SSPR system this morning. It
ran for over an hour, then my browser "lost contact with the server". I
couldn't reconnect until I rebooted the server from the console. Now I'm
applying the update again and it has been running for nearly an hour.

Has anyone else seen an issue with this patch?

0 Likes
11 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problem applying SSPR 4.4 Patch 2

Black.,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
PaulK Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I saw a similar situation with this patch.  I too lost contact ad could not even ping the server.  I tried several times to apply this, the same disconnect happened.  I even in desperation ssh'd to the bash prompt and applied zypper up.  Again the patches stopped.  Even on the VMware console this happened.  I had the configuration and the cutom css, so in the end redeployed the 4.4 OVA, patched to 4.4.0.2 in one go and reimported the config etc.   Annoying really.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

I have a hunch: 

Do you by any chance have network addresses in the 172.17 or 18 range?  The network I had the issue with does.  And docker inside the appliance defaults to assigning 172.17.0.1/1 to an internal network and creates an entry in the routing table.  When I created a new appliance and updated it to patch 2, I found that NAM, which was on a 17.18 address range could not ping it but it appeared to be working from other networks.

This is actually default docker behaviour.  I found I could fix it by adding a json couplet to the /etc/docker/daemon.json file like this:

"bip": "172.99.0.1/16",

and rebooting.  This forces docker to choose this network instead to avoid address collisions.  Not sure if this is the best way to do this though.

PaulK

0 Likes
6423241 Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

No, the IP address configured for the appliance is 10.80.x.x. 

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

I tried running 'zypper up' from the VMware console. It installed a few packages, then got 50% through "installing sspr-appliance-4.4.0.2-366.x86_64" and stopped. The console is unresponsive and the server no longer responds to a ping request. 

I guess it's time to use some support $$$.   😕

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

I have an open SR already. 

Fwiw, the SSPR appliance is on a 192.168.0.0 range.  The client has networks that are in the 172.17.0.0 and 172.18.0.0 ranges.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Yes that is where it hung for me.

It's about a half hour job to deploy a fresh 4.4, patch it to 4.4.0.2 in one go, import the config from the other SSPR, shut the old one down, and change the IP of the new one via the 9943 interface. Perhaps there is just this issue 4401 -> 4402 not 4400 -> 4402
Respected Contributor.

A new deployment of SSPR 4.4.0.0, then upgrading to 4.4.0.2 worked for me as well.  For another server, I tried applying the update from the console, using the following command suggested by NetIQ Support:

This worked too. 

Still no clue why the GUI patch from 4.4.0.1 to 4.4.0.2 fails on all my systems.  NetIQ Support said they could not duplicate the issue.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

I tried to italicize the zypper command given to me by NetIQ support and it looks like it got eaten instead. Here it is:
zypper --non-interactive patch --with-interactive --auto-agree-with-licenses --no-recommends
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

NetIQ asked me to get a verbose log of the upgrade attempt. I went about this two ways. First I typed ‘zypper -vv –non-interactive patch –with-interactive –auto-agree-with-licenses –no-recommends’.  I then tried just ‘zypper -vv up’.

Both behaved the same way – the process hung at ‘waiting for shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages’, then reported “target initialization failed” and the update aborted.

I then rebooted the system and ran “zypper –vv up”.  This returned an error that said “inconsistent rpm database, key 2516 not found. run ‘rpm –rebuilddb’ to fix.”

I did that and ran ‘zypper –vv up’ again. It hung for a while at 50 % like previously, but then appeared to complete.  The application is now functioning normally and reports the correct product version.

I guess rebuilding the RPM database did the trick.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Footnote to this thread:  I had been having an issue with both of my SSPR servers where the CPU utilization pegs for no obvious reason and the only fix is to reset the server.  This patch appears to have resolved it. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.